Platys had babys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Readingexcalibur

Aquarium Advice Addict
The mother and the baby's are in the breeder net, separate from the other platys. Do I need to separate the mother from the baby's.

Yes otherwise she will probably eat the babies, unless it's one of those with a divider on the bottom so the fry can hide ;) then I would leave her for a bit to recover ! Give her some food too, I know my live bearers are ravenous after giving birth . Good luck.

Ok, there are only 3 babies in the breeder so far and she looks pretty chunky still. What is an average amount of babies from live bearers?

What Canary Bird said. (y)

I have a female platy with two female swordtails and a male. They are always looking for babies to eat. I saw a baby in the tank this morning and they were like on a mission seeking it out. :ermm:

I really should get a breeder net but my boyfriend doesn't want the fish having tons of babies. :nono:

Ok, there are only 3 babies in the breeder so far and she looks pretty chunky still. What is an average amount of babies from live bearers?
If it's her first probably between 10 and 20, In my experience, although my Molly had 30 on her first birth ! That was a shocker ! But usually my guppies and platy have had 15 to 20 ,

What Canary Bird said. (y) I have a female platy with two female swordtails and a male. They are always looking for babies to eat. I saw a baby in the tank this morning and they were like on a mission seeking it out. :ermm: I really should get a breeder net but my boyfriend doesn't want the fish having tons of babies. :nono:
Aww sad for you :( the babies are awesome I have 3 tanks 2 are full of babies (too cute) I have rehomed quite a lot and rehomed the males, so hopefully no more babies :( but it was cool having them,

Well, just went home to remove her and all of the baby's are gone. Ugh, not even 30 minutes from her having them to eating them. Lol

Aww sad for you :( the babies are awesome I have 3 tanks 2 are full of babies (too cute) I have rehomed quite a lot and rehomed the males, so hopefully no more babies :( but it was cool having them,

Boyfriend is no fun. I am hoping that the male swordtail would breed with the female platy. That would be a really neat color combination if it would ever happen. He doesn't seem to get along with her though. :blink:

Well, just went home to remove her and all of the baby's are gone. Ugh, not even 30 minutes from her having them to eating them. Lol
Oh dear :( I watched my guppy giving birth the other week she was too quick, she popped one out turned round and ate it ! She did this with about 6 , or until she was full ! Grrrr ... So I only got 5 out of that batch ....

Back
Top Bottom