Platys have like white patches on their tails ??? Is it fin rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TASHANCRAIG

Aquarium Advice Regular
Small white patches on my platys tails and 1 patch slightly larger on 1 of the fish is this fin rot or something else ?????

I would say fin rot and it will most likely turn into ich.
I've had a freshwater aquarium for 10 years and that's what always happens to mine. I would suggest a medication called MelaFix. It's fixes up all of that and more and it does it super quickly! Good luck!

Pics would help. Clean water is the best medicine 99% of the time.

I would say fin rot and it will most likely turn into ich.
I've had a freshwater aquarium for 10 years and that's what always happens to mine. I would suggest a medication called MelaFix. It's fixes up all of that and more and it does it super quickly! Good luck!

why will it turn to ick ????? does melafix treat ick i thought it didnt i know it treats fin rot ???? and bacterial in fections too

Fin rot does not turn into Ick. They are different diseases fostered in the same environment. Clean water over a long period will generally avoid both with no tank additions.

Why is everyone so quick to medicate? Neither require it. Heat & salt WORK for ick and clean water WORKs for fin rot. Until a picture is produced for a solid diagnosis, recommending or administering any additives is way premature. JMO.

Kinda just saying, but, "ick" is actually "ich", but "ick" is right, just that the 'real name' is "Ichthyophthirius multifiliis".

SO: "Ick" = "Ich" and "Ich" =
"Ichthyophthirius multifiliis".

+1 to HN1.. i spent so much time trying to cure ich that i forgot to monitor my water params at the beginning. make sure that you salt the water and raise the temp slowly.

if i have platies or mollies in a tank i usually put in a mix of salts similar to the cichlid salts i use. just at a weaker concentration.

i ended up getting rid of them both the platys had clamped tail fins and kept floating funny and not swimming so got rid before it spread disease to my tank since replaced with 2 sunset platies and 2 mickey mouse platies all disease free and small baby ones to go with the 2 original ones i had that i have never had problems with all is good now

Back
Top Bottom