Play sand aquarium safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman007

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so i want to switch from my gravel to sand, so i went to petco and looked at there aquarium sand which was 20$ for 20lbs! Then i went to petsmart and theres was 27$ for 20lbs so even more than petcos! Then i looked it up on googleand wanted to know if play sand was aquarium safe and there were mixed answers. I was wanting to know from someone who knows a little more than the people on yahoo.

Thanks. :)

It's safe, just be sure to rinse it before you add it to the tank. Rinsing can be a pain, but I think it's worth it, since IMO sand looks so much better than gravel.

Look up a video on YouTube called "how to clean sand the easy way". It should show a bottle.

I did it and it worked out PERFECT. PM me if u want me to explain it.

Ive heard that pool filter sand is better than play sand?

I like the look of white pool filter sand WAYYYYYYY better.

And a tip: even if you don't think you need to take your fish out, TAKE YOUR FISH OUT!!!!!!!!!

When I changed my gravel out I left my fish in thinking they'd be fine. Nope! Gave all of them ammonia poisoning. Don't make my mistake.

I like the look of white pool filter sand WAYYYYYYY better.

And a tip: even if you don't think you need to take your fish out, TAKE YOUR FISH OUT!!!!!!!!!

When I changed my gravel out I left my fish in thinking they'd be fine. Nope! Gave all of them ammonia poisoning. Don't make my mistake.

Yeah i went to home depot this morning and got 4 5 gallon buckets, one for the fish,the airstone, and the heater, one for the other 5g of water, one for the sand that i will be putting in, and one for the gravel thats getting taken out.

It's a bit larger, and has a more uniform grain size. Personally, my favorite sand is the black diamond blasting sand. Looks amazing, and super cheap ($7-$8 for a 50 pound bag). I got the "ultra fine" 40/80 grain, so it's very soft for bottom dwellers (even though sharp substrate is arguably not an issue for them).

Also, here is an article on here that discusses the rinsing of sand: Introduction to Adding Natural Decor to an Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

It's a bit larger, and has a more uniform grain size. Personally, my favorite sand is the black diamond blasting sand. Looks amazing, and super cheap ($7-$8 for a 50 pound bag). I got the "ultra fine" 40/80 grain, so it's very soft for bottom dwellers (even though sharp substrate is arguably not an issue for them).

Also, here is an article on here that discusses the rinsing of sand: Introduction to Adding Natural Decor to an Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Is that stuff from lowes or Home Depot

Thank you bud! That article was great!!!

Yes it's safe. I have sand in both my tanks and have had zero issues. I'm sure it's been mentioned, but be sure to rinse, rinse, rinse.... And rinse some more. The play sand may look clean but it's super dusty, so again.. Rinse,
Rinse, rinse! Lol.

Yes it's safe. I have sand in both my tanks and have had zero issues. I'm sure it's been mentioned, but be sure to rinse, rinse, rinse.... And rinse some more. The play sand may look clean but it's super dusty, so again.. Rinse,
Rinse, rinse! Lol.

Or of course you can PM me for the method to clean sand with 0 rinsing (trying to stay on topic)

It certainly is, and easier to clean before and while its in the tank, I changed to sand in my 55g a few weeks ago, then did the 21g and the 7g they look amazing , it really is a good choice the pool filter sand :) and it will be going in any other tank I get in the future :)

It certainly is, and easier to clean before and while its in the tank, I changed to sand in my 55g a few weeks ago, then did the 21g and the 7g they look amazing , it really is a good choice the pool filter sand :) and it will be going in any other tank I get in the future :)

Yeah i think i will go get some pool filter sand instead of play sand

Back
Top Bottom