Please answer this for me. (cycling)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sharkbait54 said:
I've only been in this hobby for 7 or so months, and I feel very emotionally attached to my fish. I just got 6 tiger barbs for a fish in cycle. They weren't my original stock plan but they were 99cents and the lfs guy said when I'm done with my cycle he'd refund them 100%. I want to keep them now, they are adorable :).

I love this hobby and I'd never think of a fish as disposable.

:)thumb

I agree with all of you really I see things from different views :) thanks for all your responses.

Would you really go as far as to say that I am not z good fish keeper though dud to the fact that I put my fish into their tank with out cycling? They are so happy acting.. And like I said, they have been in thx tank for over a year now in my smaller 30 gallon. My fish have all seemed so happy it is hard for me to accept that they are secretly suffering..

Fishguy1987 said:
I agree with all of you really I see things from different views :) thanks for all your responses.

Would you really go as far as to say that I am not z good fish keeper though dud to the fact that I put my fish into their tank with out cycling? They are so happy acting.. And like I said, they have been in thx tank for over a year now in my smaller 30 gallon. My fish have all seemed so happy it is hard for me to accept that they are secretly suffering..

Your tank will be cycled now. It happens whether you want it to or not. What we don't agree with is someone intentionally putting fish into an uncycled tank and letting them experience the ammonia and nitrite spikes without taking measures to protect them. All my new tanks are technically uncycled. I add some filter media from other tanks and monitor water conditions. If those conditions are dangerous for the fish I take action in the form of a water change.

Fishguy1987 said:

No, it doesn't make you a bad fish keeper at all. But next time, you should try to cycle the tank. But it seems you've had surprisingly good luck without it! They probably aren't suffering anymore, the tanks probably cycled because of the fish you added.

Fishguy1987 said:

See it really comes down to this: do you do water changes on a regular basis? If yes, as in at least weekly or however much you need to in able to keep the water parameters right, there nothing wrong with it. I've done fish-in cycles on all of my tanks (besides sw, its a little different), does that make me a bad person, I don't think so, because I do everything I can I keep the water as nice as possible with a bunch of water changes till the tank cycles. It only comes to a judgment on morals when you throw fish in water and don't change the water for a month.. (I'm not saying/assuming/hinting that you do in any way shape it form:) ) I think that's where the real problem comes in, and that I get the since people assume that's what you did if you didn't fishless cycle instead if asking first. Just my two cents:)

Nope, I do fish-in cycles all the time, there's nothing wrong with it.

By the wording in the OP it sounds like you don't really understand how the nitrogen cycle works. It's okay, a lot of people don't, and you don't have to know it in order to be successful at fishkeeping. It just helps to know what is going on in the tank chemical-wise.

Do you still have the same fish you started out with a year ago when the tank was new?

I do have the same fish. Where can I read and learn of this nitrogen cycle?

Back
Top Bottom