Please answer this for me. (cycling)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy1987

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First off, I don't mean to offend or pick at anyone.. But I have to know.. Why is it that on these aquarium forums I hear so much about cycling your tank and all this. People literally spending weeks if not up to two months "cycling" their new tanks.. When I mention I got my 75 gal ready in 2 days, I become the subject of scrutiny. (excuse any typos I'm writing from I phone)..

I have had tanks for long periods of time.. For the last 4 years probably. I have held the tanks in a small city where water was highly chemicalized with chlorine and such, as well as in the country where I am now with sulfur and hard water. NEVER have I lost any fish to just putting them in the water. Heck if they aren't expensive fish I don't even worry much about acclimating.

So why so much scrutiny from fish people when I say I just started a tank and added fish as soon as the temp was right? I do how ever, always use prime.. My water is always clear and I keep the tank vacuumed decently...

Again not picking but really am looking for an explanation as to why this is such a chemistry project to some people? (I could see if you were using discus or something) by the way, I have kept anything from cats, cichlids, goldies, piranha, name it...

To be honest, I don't know. I just learned that you need to cycle the tank to build up some good bacteria and lead to a very healthy ecosystem. I think everyone should do it, and when you don't the fish is probably really stressed out. Theres nothing to break down all the waste that is being made by the fish yet, so the waste builds up and kills the fish.

I don't want to pick on you, I know you've had good luck without acclimating. But I highly suggest that you start to acclimate. Fish need to acclimate to the pH, temperature and all that other stuff to be mst successful. Imagine if you were just thrown on top of everest without acclimating to the altitude, you'd definately have a hard time. This isn't the best analogy, but you get the point I assume.

I don't think its fair to the fish that some people dont care about acclimation just because they're cheap. I mean, does that fish know he was only $2.99? The fish just thinks hes the same as everyone. Every fish deserves an equal chance imo. What if a dog died that you got for free? Would you think, ah it was free who cares?

I see you are somewhat new here also, once you learn a bit more and start the understand more, you'll see why everyone is all fed up with the cycling and stuff. When I first got here a year ago (almost exactly!) , I was thinking the same thing.

Be prepared to be bombarded with different replies lol.

Well, sometimes things just work out. I agree. I've never done a fishless cycle and use my outdated fish in cycling. I prefer it and other old school methods. I rarely test, but can't stand people who do daily tests and stress themselves out trying to save a 3 dollar fish. I understand people sentiments but honestly it's cheaper to just get a new one than dump money into medicnes to save it.

My opinion, but your asking for a flame war here :p

I knew this would be slightly touchy and that's why I am trying to approach it delicately lol. I appreciate both your answers and don't mean for my response to be argumentative, but do mean to try n make sense of things.

First let me say. I don't value any life of anything less than another. I set moths free when in the house lol.. But the more expensive fish are usually less common and sometimes more delicate. That's my thinking.

We talk long term, I have never seen negative repercussions on the way I do things. And sometimes things go well shouldn't cover it cause I have many tanks that I've done this with.

And also not to argue but usually the acclimation is just a few degrees isn't it? I'm exposed to that often. This is almost like a debate.. I do wanna keep it friendly though

A few degree is a lot to most animals, excepting mammals. Mammals in general van handle huge temperature ranges that most other animals would have no chance in. However, it would be like dumping someone from 115 degrees down to about 18 degrees in a human standpoint.

Testing during a cycle is important. It let's us know if something is high and could be harming the fish. Personally I don't test my tanks unless something is wrong/changed or if it is cycling. While I don't do fishless cycling myself I don't put down those who do. I just don't see the point of it myself when fish in cycling can be done safely by doing water changes and testing when needed.
Acclimating fish doesn't just get the fish use to the temperature of the water but also the conditions (pH, nitrate, TDS).

Fishguy1987 said:
I knew this would be slightly touchy and that's why I am trying to approach it delicately lol. I appreciate both your answers and don't mean for my response to be argumentative, but do mean to try n make sense of things.

First let me say. I don't value any life of anything less than another. I set moths free when in the house lol.. But the more expensive fish are usually less common and sometimes more delicate. That's my thinking.

We talk long term, I have never seen negative repercussions on the way I do things. And sometimes things go well shouldn't cover it cause I have many tanks that I've done this with.

And also not to argue but usually the acclimation is just a few degrees isn't it? I'm exposed to that often. This is almost like a debate.. I do wanna keep it friendly though

I understand your thinking. I don't want to let this get to an argument either lol. Let's just call it a heated debate? Lol kidding ;)

Putting fish into a system that is not established can cause very high ammonia in the water. The good bacteria that is grown in the cycle eats the ammonia. If you havent taken the time to cycle then you will have new tank syndrome. High ammo levels and dead, dying, or stressed fish. Now in a larger tank with less fish the levels are more diluted. Say...your 75 gallon tank. But a noob with a nano cube that has 5 gallons and 3 fish could loose all of them very quickly if not cycled. Plus think of it like this....How would you like to breathe think chemical smoke all day....Every breath hurts....Well thats what a fish that breathes ammonia feels like.. Ammo can burn thier gills and cause scar tissue. So as a whole in the hobby we encourage cycling. Either by using pure ammonia, or by using hearty fish and daily water changes. Its a hobby and there is a right way and a wrong way. The right way is to have stable water and a make it a priority to learn how to keep your fish. Or you can go to the LFS and by all kinds of stuff and slap it together. Its a free country.. Do what you like...I choose to strive to master my hobby...I love my fish...I want them healthy. I also want to know that im doing my best... take care,
Justin

Well, sometimes things just work out. I agree. I've never done a fishless cycle and use my outdated fish in cycling. I prefer it and other old school methods. I rarely test, but can't stand people who do daily tests and stress themselves out trying to save a 3 dollar fish. I understand people sentiments but honestly it's cheaper to just get a new one than dump money into medicnes to save it.

My opinion, but your asking for a flame war here :p

Three questions.

I rarely test, but can't stand people who do daily tests and stress themselves out trying to save a 3 dollar fish. I understand people sentiments but honestly it's cheaper to just get a new one than dump money into medicnes to save it.
1. What exactly is an "outdated fish"?
2. My dog comes from the pound...He was free. My second question is, Since he was free does that mean he deserves to be treated poorly?
3. Why do you keep fish in the first place, if you feel they are disposable?

Oh my.....comparing a dog to a fish? I am a very compassionate person, and I love all living things, but this is a horrid comparison IMO. And who is to say that the fish is being treated poorly? If a fish-in cycle is done properly, the fish isn't necessarily suffering.

Jmedic25 said:
Three questions.

1. What exactly is an "outdated fish"?
2. My dog comes from the pound...He was free. My second question is, Since he was free does that mean he deserves to be treated poorly?
3. Why do you keep fish in the first place, if you feel they are disposable?

1-read the whole thing "outdated fish in cycling"
2- price does affect things. Are you going to spend the same to save a fish who seems barely sentient or to save a dog who is quite clearly smart and can understand his situation. However it can be put into terms of non living things, are you going to spend 50$ to fix a 75$ lamp? Even I'd you really like it?
3- fish to me is an art form, yes I get attached to some fish, but a tank to me is a living work of art. I accept that fish will die and move on with my day.

Oh my.....comparing a dog to a fish? I am a very compassionate person, and I love all living things, but this is a horrid comparison IMO. And who is to say that the fish is being treated poorly? If a fish-in cycle is done properly, the fish isn't necessarily suffering.

I agree a fish in cycle done properly is totally fine. I compaired MY dog to a fish because I care for them both to the best of my ability. The quoted text indicated that it was easier to discard a fish then care for it properly. IMO that is poor fishkeeping. Lots of people come here for advice on fishkeeping. So lets give sound advice. :)

I've had my fish over 5 years and im very attached to them just like I am my dog, so to me their just as important. I mean if u don't care about the fish, why join something like this and make stupid comments to people who really care about their PETS!!!!

Whether a fish is worth $2 or $200 it shouldn't be treated any different. The way I see it, it is my choice to keep these fish therefore it is my responsibility to care for them to the best of my ability. While some may not feel spending $20 on medication for a $2 fish is worth it but can justify $20 on a $50 fish, I understand that. I have a goldfish I got for nothing. I have spent over $50 on medications and special food for this fish but I will not spend anymore. I will still do my absolute best with what I have but I will not just write it off because he was free.

Whether a fish is worth $2 or $200 it shouldn't be treated any different. The way I see it, it is my choice to keep these fish therefore it is my responsibility to care for them to the best of my ability. While some may not feel spending $20 on medication for a $2 fish is worth it but can justify $20 on a $50 fish, I understand that. I have a goldfish I got for nothing. I have spent over $50 on medications and special food for this fish but I will not spend anymore. I will still do my absolute best with what I have but I will not just write it off because he was free.

Bingo!

I've only been in this hobby for 7 or so months, and I feel very emotionally attached to my fish. I just got 6 tiger barbs for a fish in cycle. They weren't my original stock plan but they were 99cents and the lfs guy said when I'm done with my cycle he'd refund them 100%. I want to keep them now, they are adorable :).

I love this hobby and I'd never think of a fish as disposable.

Back
Top Bottom