Please explain...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Why do some folks write Pl*co??

I've seen this here sometimes, and on other boards a lot. Frankly, I have never understood why you just don't type pleco?

Please enlighten me.

100 kudos for the first person to give me the real answer. :p

LOL keep the kudos LOL but I just answered it in the Bio-Spira post.

There is an internet suspicion that if one writes out plec, pleco or plecostomus fully, your plec will die. Notice how much I buy into that ;) Think theres an article about it on www.planetcatfish.com

Here it is!

"There is a superstition among net-savy fishkeepers that goes back to the early Usenet days. It seemed like any time a pleco was mentioned in print, said pleco died or at least contracted a nasty disease soon thereafter. So, the custom became to use asterisks and/or mispell the name to avoid a similar calamity. With the influx of so many new aquarists since the advent of the internet and BBS software, the practice is not as common as it used to be."

http://www.plantedtank.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2378

:D

*grin* send AtodaJ the kudos; I beat em by only a min and that was a much fuller explanation :)

What a silly superstition! Plecos are very hardy, after all...nothing like my c*rdinals or h*tchets or yellow l*bs :lol:

i figured it was because there are so many different types of pleco, that pl*co refered to one of unknown breed or species.

i like the superstition story - thanks for sharing!

That's a good story...I asked about it in the Bio-Spira topic...see, Corvuscorax, great minds think alike!!! :D :D :D

Well, I better type b*tta for now...my little guy is in the quarantine critter keeper :( .

Thanks for sharing the story, everyone!

*giggles*

My plec is a big fat bully, thats how he is. And no amount of spelling is going to change that LOL

AtodaJ gets the 100 kudos!

Thank you all for the story. Good story, dumb superstition!

Sorry I never came back monday night to check it out!

Back
Top Bottom