Please help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmrt1722

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering if anyone knows if Tiger Barbs, Black Skirt Tetras, Red Minor Tetras, and Mickey Mouse Platy are supposed to be aggressive? We have 5 all but the Mickey Mouse,we are down to 3 of those, along with 3 Peppered Cory Cats, 1 Pleco, and 2 Bala Sharks (and we just lost a Silver Tip Shark...he just disappeared from the tank overnight).:fish2::thanks:

Are all these in the 36 gallon listed in your profile? Some of these fish aren't really suited to be in that tank when grown. Most of the fish can be labeled as semi aggressive or at least fairly nippy fish. Tiger barbs are especially nippy and are suggested to be kept in larger schools so their aggression stays within the group

I hate any kind of barbs, they nipped my poor rainbow fish constantly. I had to learn the hard way by trail and error. Sounds like your tank has too many fish and too many different types. I used to try to mix a lot of species myself but have learned there is a reason that some of these fish don't naturally encounter each other in nature. Good luck, hope everything works out :)

@ Zimmanski: yes all of these are in the 36 gallon tank that is in my profile. We will eventually get a bigger tank when the time comes for any that outgrow our current tank. How many would you suggest for them to school properly & keep the nipping at bay?

@ Zimmanski: yes all of these are in the 36 gallon tank that is in my profile. We will eventually get a bigger tank when the time comes for any that outgrow our current tank. How many would you suggest for them to school properly & keep the nipping at bay?

Okay, that's good. I wasn't trying to bash you or anything, just wanted to make sure you knew of their adult sizes. I think most people say 8+ for tiger barbs. With the other fish in your tank I'm not sure increasing the school would solve the platy issue but it may help if it is Just the barbs doing the damage

I know barbs are cool little fish but I would give them to a local pet store and get something more peaceful like black or neon tetras. Those and Zebra Danios I have had a lot of luck with my rainbow fish. No aggression of any kind

@Zimmanski: I didn't think you were bashing. I am grateful for any & all info I can get to help us out. We didn't realize they would get that big when grown. We will see what happens cause we really don't want to get anymore until we can do alot more research & make sure we are doing the right thing. Thanks for all of your help. :thanks:
@ Lucas82: We don't have a pet store anywhere close to us...we live out in the country with very little around us. We will just have to make do I guess for now because our 2 year old really likes the Tiger Barbs. Also like I commented to Zimmanski we need to wait until we can do more research. Thank you for your help also. :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom