Please help a newbie, I am begging.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Imat

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had an awful experience so far with stocking my tank with compatible fish and I really need help.

Ok, so I returned the red minor tetras I had purchased. They were being too aggressive and even started almost stalking and nipping at my oto catfish.

So, I am rethinking what I will have in my tank.

I currently have

oto catfish and I want to keep those for sure. They are awesome.

I would especially like a true schooling fish (not a schoaling fish)

Here are the types I like. What are compatible and will live in the same tank together ok?

Mollies

cardinal tetra

neon tetra

black neon tetra

danio erythromicron

galaxy rasbora/ celestial pearl danio

rummynose tetras

sterba cory cat

zebra danio

most of these are smaller....I liked the mollies because they were a little bigger, but not too big. Any suggestions that are not on my list are welcome as well. I would prefer not to just have a ton of small tetras... maybe one or two and thats it

Food for thought. Most tetras will school together, my glowlights and black neons do.
Is this the 55g on your profile?
Are they fish suggestions that you're looking at? What do you have in the tank already?

My Rummynose Tetras form a decently-tight school. There are individuals that break off for 5 seconds or so, and sometimes they'll split into two schools. But they do stick together when they're active during the day.

I've heard that Bloodfin Tetras tend to form relatively tight schools, but have no personal experience with them.

Yes I have a 55 gallon. I returned the red minor tetras because they were ganging up on my oto cats and had already killed a few neon tetras.

I listed the fish I like in my original post. I ended up with one red minor tetra when I bought the tank and then made a school not knowing they were semi aggressive. I followed the LFS guidance on what to put in there and it hasn't worked out. I don't think they cared about anything but sales.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

My husband didn't want all tetras and wanted to be able to have more of a selection.

Keep in mind that your fish are going to have to be compatible with your tank water's pH, GH, and temperature. Cardinal tetras, for example, want soft-to-very-soft water and prefer a pH below 7 (you definitely don't want higher than mid-7's).

It's easiest to pick fish that match the pH and GH of your tap water.

I completely agree that I need to have fish compatible to temp and hardness , etc.
just hoping someone can guide me along the way from personal experience on what they have personally put together

Like 6 Rainbowfish would work in a 55 gallon

Its unfortunate that those tetras were to aggressive usually most tetras are not bad neons or glowlight are cool.

If your tank water is in the pH 6-7.5 range and is GH is in the soft-moderate range, you may want to consider Harlequin Rasboras. They are peaceful and do well with tetras.

Glass cats
Rainbow Praecox
The Tetras you've mentioned
Hatchets

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice assuming the app didn't crash.

Glass cats
Rainbow Praecox
The Tetras you've mentioned
Hatchets

The praecox rainbows may be a bit rambunctious, at least they were the 3 times I tried them. A group of gertrudae rainbows might be a better choice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I like all of your choices. Platies are a little smaller than mollies, but still have a solid body type along with bright colors.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Will mollies do ok in softer water conditions? I think they are cool

I like the golden long finned ones.

I'm not sure. I know that the recommended level is about 7.6, which is where my water is anyhow. It would help of they were already raised in your ph. Maybe you can find some locally.

The praecox rainbows may be a bit rambunctious, at least they were the 3 times I tried them. A group of gertrudae rainbows might be a better choice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've never encountered that. What was the male to female ratio?

I've never kept them but I've read that they prefer slightly brackish conditions.

I'm planning to get swordtails. They grow to 4 or 4.5 inches and are not brackish. They do ask for the same ph as mollies though.

Back
Top Bottom