Please help ID Plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ktomminello

Aquarium Advice Addict
:huh: :confused: I have this itty bitty 2 leafed plant that sprouted up yesterday while I was out. I have not planted anything, moved anything, added any fish or decoration. This tank has been up and running for a while now, every plant started as a bulb or bunched cutting from a family indoor riverbed. Could this be a baby from my anubis, crypt, fern or any other of my plants? :thanks: in advance for any replies. I have never left any of my plants alone long enough to actually have an off shoot, normally I'm planting for other people, so I hope you can help. once again thank you for reading.

:thanks::D

Attachments

• 2012-12-21_09-17-00_984.jpg
    2012-12-21_09-17-00_984.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 2012-12-21_09-18-23_605.jpg
    2012-12-21_09-18-23_605.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 55
  • 2012-12-21_09-17-48_721.jpg
    2012-12-21_09-17-48_721.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 2012-12-21_09-24-19_590.jpg
    2012-12-21_09-24-19_590.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 50
It actually looks like a new plant emerging from a seed. Next it should get its first set of actual leaves. Don't mess with it at all and not for some time. Let it grow, develop roots, and leaves then maybe it can be identified and eventually moved. Did any of your plants flower?

Hmmmm

No. I haven't had anything flower- it's in my 10g and I keep my lilies cut back so they bush out with red leaves, and there has not been anything introduced to the tank at all!! That is so weird!!! I guess I'll keep watching it and go from there. Lol, I know what it looks like, but they definitely don't grow fully submerged!! :confused: Makes me wonder if my cats are planting my catnip seeds in my tank when I'm asleep. Thanks :) you're always so helpful!!

I could see cats doing that. We have cats too and all open top tanks but thankfully no mystery plants yet. Now I'll be curious to see what it is!

I'll post when it starts looking like a plant. I have 4 cats, but I have hoods or glass tops on all of my tanks... I only have one cat small enough and sneaky enough to do that :lol: and she definitely would be the one to plant something, she planted a pepper seed in our compost heap in the basement and uprooted catnip plants and put them in a pot with my aloe plant because she wanted to eat them while looking out the window..... Looks like I am going to have to do some research on plants that can grow fully submerged!!

I'll post when it starts looking like a plant. I have 4 cats, but I have hoods or glass tops on all of my tanks... I only have one cat small enough and sneaky enough to do that :lol: and she definitely would be the one to plant something, she planted a pepper seed in our compost heap in the basement and uprooted catnip plants and put them in a pot with my aloe plant because she wanted to eat them while looking out the window..... Looks like I am going to have to do some research on plants that can grow fully submerged!!

There are plants I just quit trying to grow in the sunroom due to the cats, which we have 7 which all belong to my adult daughter who lives with me. I tried growing catmint inside and well lets say it didn't even last 1 day. But at least the cats know there is no lids to jump on, my daughter actually held them up and put a paw lightly in the water and since then non of them attempt to jump on them. I will be really curious to see if it continues to grow and leaf out.

Back
Top Bottom