Please help ID this. Is this BBA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clausura

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,

Currently I am cycling my 64 gallon tank and am 12 days into the process.

Currently only gravel and some driftwood is in my tank.

My driftwood has been in the tank since day 1 and I have pre-soaked them for 1 week before putting them in the tank. After a few days, I have noticed white stuff like cotton coating the driftwood; much like the pictures below.

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k618/Clausura24/photo-1.jpg

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k618/Clausura24/photo-2.jpg

Now, since day 9 of my cycling, a black hairy looking fungus has been growing in its place and I am dreading that it is either black brush algae or black beard algae. It looks like this.

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k618/Clausura24/photo.jpg

Is this normal? Should I leave it alone or should I take out my driftwood and scrub the black stuff and white stuff off? And will it affect my cycling period? Please help!

I think the white stuff is normal; it should go away in time and some fish might eat it when you get them. If it bothers you, you could probably take it off.

The black stuff is probably not good. Does look like black algae, although I have no experience with it. I'd take the DW out and scrub it. It shouldn't affect the cycle.

librarygirl said:
I think the white stuff is normal; it should go away in time and some fish might eat it when you get them. If it bothers you, you could probably take it off.

The black stuff is probably not good. Does look like black algae, although I have no experience with it. I'd take the DW out and scrub it. It shouldn't affect the cycle.

You will get all kinds of gross algae and weird stuff in your tank during cycling. It's normal. I dont think it will affect anything. You can scrub it off now, if you want or just do a big scrubbing when the cycle is over.

i had the same problem i goes away on its own it is just kinda bad looking if you want scrape it off no need to use bleach or anything.... then put what ever its on back in the tank. it should be fine

The fungus on the DW will go away but the BBA probably wont. Scraping it off is pretty difficult, that stuff is anchored on well. The best method I've found is to lower the water level to expose the driftwood and then spray it with hydrogen peroxide, let sit for 5 minutes, reapply, let sit again and then refill the tank. Reapply as needed, if there aren't fish in the tank it's not a big deal, but if you have fish in the tank you don't want to overdo it. After a few days it'll turn pink/white and then fall off or get eaten by something if you had stock in the tank.

BBA is pretty stubborn stuff. Like jetta said hydrogen peroxide is the best remedy. Works better than other things I have tried:facepalm:

Thank you for your reply and remedies guys. Really appreciate it. To me, that black stuff is growing everyday, like the black goo that changes Spiderman to Venom =p

So for hydrogen peroxide, where can i obtain it? From a chemist? Or can I get something from an lfs?

Back
Top Bottom