please help me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lee_zr600

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55g community tank. I have a few fish in there I know could be the culprit. Somebody completely ravaged my betta. There is a Krib cichlid in there, there are 5 golden barbs as well. I've seen the krib nip at fish but would he go this far? I know the barbs have a rude reputation for fin nipping. He was fine this morning when I left, destroyed when I got home this evening. Who would you suspect did it? thanks for the help! :confused: :(

Hi Lee, Kribs can be aggressive when spawning, but my bet is it's the golden barbs doing the damage, they can be very aggressive and fin nippers. maybe you could sit quietly and watch the fish to try to figure out who it is. maybe another member will give their opinion. let us know how you get on.

Pete

i agree with scalare, some of my friends have golden barbs, and they are notorious for fin nipping apparently- in his tank anyway, but his tank in smaller than yours though, the size of the tank may make a difference to their aggression, i'm not sure? :D Good luck!

attack

I have seen the krib nip before, i havent seen the barbs do it. With the ammount of damage done in a matter of hours of me being gone i would have to suspect the barbs because they're five of them. I wish I could pinpoint because I want to remove whatever did this.

Hi Lee, all I can suggest is you watch the tank when you are home, you may well catch the attacker(s) in the act. sorry can't be more helpful.

Pete

Watching the tank will help, when I want to monitor their behavior just turn on some blues and wait. How big is the Krib?

Yeah, watching is your best bet, not sure how that'll work now that the beta is dead unless you get another. Get one when you know you'll have time to monitor so you can intervene when you can Id the culprit(s). Personally I like the room dark so they won't see me and act more naturally. Hope this helps. I had to get rid of three danios and a black Molly as they were tormenting my phantoms and others. My lfs took them. :)

he is still alive...he's just mangled...do you think i should leave him in the tank...he is in a 2gallon right now...separated with fin medicine in his water

Let him decompress and keep it in quarantine until you can see actual healing taking place. A little more work on your part but worth it for the betta.

One more thing, don't forget to try and monitor what's happening in your tank as far as trying to find the bully. If you put him back in without knowing then the betta, others and future fish will be at risk.

i know that the krib is one of the dominant fish but ive never seen him cause damage. I suspect the barbs just becasue i know they have been know to chew fins off. i feel bad. he was a good lookin fish before someone tore him apart...im thinking about taking the barbs to lfs for a trade.

Five barbs doesn't seem like very many, especially for a 55gal. If they are the culprits it may help to add a few more to the tank to spread and reduce aggression. They usually work in larger numbers.

i took the krib back anyway as i watched him nip 5 fish in under a minute...he was just a mean one i guess.

Good job on catching the culprit! It sucks to bring a fish back but it had to be done. I did the same thing this weekend with 3 fish. I would still keep the Betta under quarantine for a while. It may take a little while.

so it was the Krib, glad you caught the culprit anyway, keep the Betta isolated for a week or two to recover.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom