Please help me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tashangel31

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is my platy pregnant???
I don't know what to look for and she sure is bigger than the other mm platy!

Attachments

• image-3933875938.jpg
    image-3933875938.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 52
  • image-2234567994.jpg
    image-2234567994.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 54
  • image-2654410695.jpg
    image-2654410695.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 47
I once heard these signs that your platy might be pregnant:

1) Generally round about the midsection, as in the sides.
2) Has a flattened off bottom belly.
3) Is, or has ever been, a "platy".

Short of isolation from all males, yes, your platy is pregnant.
And the thing is, after your platy gives birth, it's STILL pregnant.
And your other platy is probably pregnant too.

Livebearers man...

@aqua chem. Hahahaha.

@tashangel. I agree with aqua chem. Yes, she looks gravid. My best guess is that it could still a little bit before having the fry, but you never know. Livebearers store sperm an encounter with a male and can have up to 3 sets of fry from that. It takes about 28 days for the fry to develop enough to be dropped. I have seen my female platys get pretty big before dropping fry, much bigger than the one in picture, but the first drop tends to be smaller, so the fish don't look quite as big. :)

Yes the other one is male. Lol. I was supossed to have 2 males. Lol. Guess not!!! Thanks guys. I really appreciate it.

Can y'all tell me what a good fry tank should look like. How many gallons? What kinda filter? And such gravel or bare bottom? Thanks y'all are my heros.

For platys, you would be fine with a 10g fry tank. I do not know a ton about filters ect, but you can get a 10g kit and it would be fine IMO. You would probably be fine with a 5g if you are space limited, but you woudn't be able to keep the fry in there as long. Most people with fry tank keep them bare for the ease of cleaning, thats all up to you. Fry like it nice and warm and you can feed them crushed flakes, cooked egg yolk paste, hikari first bites, or baby brine shrimp. I personally use crushed flakes and egg paste for my platy/guppy/molly fry. :)

AAngel is right on all accounts. I will add that while strong current is to be avoided, moderate current wouldn't be that bad if that's what you got.

Just make sure you have a sponge over your filter intake. Even then still check your filter regularly. They somehow manage to get through sponges...

Back
Top Bottom