Please Help Me!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We will have to agree to disagree. Just because they will survive doesnt mean its right. I can pour battery acid on your arm and it wont kill you but isnit right? An uncycled tank has alot of ammonia which can cause ammonia burns even at a nonlethal dose.

Jm its all good. Text stinks lol

Yes we will agree to disagree but battery acid is a bit extreme. Goldfish don't get burns from ammonia in a tank. The tank doesn't have enough ammonia in it when it starts its cycle. If there is proper filtration I don't think it would ever get enough ammonia to cause burns.

Yes we will agree to disagree but battery acid is a bit extreme. Goldfish don't get burns from ammonia in a tank. The tank doesn't have enough ammonia in it when it starts its cycle. If there is proper filtration I don't think it would ever get enough ammonia to cause burns.

Actually it will since it is uncycled. I can put a 1 million gph filter on a 30 gallon but if the bb havent started to grow 0 amm will be depleted. I have heard of much lower bioload tanks hitting 8+ ppm amm before being properly cycled. Anything over .25 is dangerous to fish. Even if goldfish are able to healthily live with more than most fish I doubt they are up to 8ppm. Even if they survice it wont be without pain.

Thanks for all the input so far everyone. So here's my update after doing more research and my new questions. I am keeping the jewel cichlids alone in the 29 gallon and have moved everyone else to the 10 gallon. Tomorrow I'll be getting a separate small tank for the african dwarf frog (I have the water prepping now), since they do better without filtration. I'll also be visiting the 2 local LFS in my area to try to rehome the Oto and the Cory. Which will leave the Molly solo in the 10g. I wasn't super impressed with the jewel cichlids at first A) because they were picking of the other members of their tank and B) they were a drab not too pretty color. However after doing my research I discovered they're actually gorgeous fish. They were just pale because they were freaked out with the move. They are already starting to color up and I'm hoping they will be happy together in the 29g tank. Unfortunately they are still too pale for me to sex them. I'm hoping a have a mixed pair so they don't turn on each other, but as of now they are totally non-aggressive to each other. I'm keeping the Molly just because I like her and she's a hardy fish that I'm hoping can survive they cycling of the 10g. Now I know she needs to be in a school of at least 3. Once the cycling is complete can I add 2 more Mollies to the 10g? I've researched it and I know there's a lot of different opinions on this. 3 Mollies in a 10g should be well under the 1 inch rule, so I'm not quite sure why so many people say this is a no no. If need be I'll go get her a 20g, but I'm kind of at a loss what to do with the 10g then. I've had it for months, but never stocked it because I just can't find a fish I like that's fit for a tank that small (originally bought it for the goldfish I wanted only to discover that would absolutely not work). So here's my last question (for now :) that is). I checked all my local stores for the recommended API Master test kit, but no one had one, so I had to order it online. It will be here Tuesday (5 days from now), but until then I'm flying blind. Should I do 50% water changes daily to be safe? I don't mind the work, but would it be harmful to do that?

Thanks for all the input so far everyone. So here's my update after doing more research and my new questions. I am keeping the jewel cichlids alone in the 29 gallon and have moved everyone else to the 10 gallon. Tomorrow I'll be getting a separate small tank for the african dwarf frog (I have the water prepping now), since they do better without filtration. I'll also be visiting the 2 local LFS in my area to try to rehome the Oto and the Cory. Which will leave the Molly solo in the 10g. I wasn't super impressed with the jewel cichlids at first A) because they were picking of the other members of their tank and B) they were a drab not too pretty color. However after doing my research I discovered they're actually gorgeous fish. They were just pale because they were freaked out with the move. They are already starting to color up and I'm hoping they will be happy together in the 29g tank. Unfortunately they are still too pale for me to sex them. I'm hoping a have a mixed pair so they don't turn on each other, but as of now they are totally non-aggressive to each other. I'm keeping the Molly just because I like her and she's a hardy fish that I'm hoping can survive they cycling of the 10g. Now I know she needs to be in a school of at least 3. Once the cycling is complete can I add 2 more Mollies to the 10g? I've researched it and I know there's a lot of different opinions on this. 3 Mollies in a 10g should be well under the 1 inch rule, so I'm not quite sure why so many people say this is a no no. If need be I'll go get her a 20g, but I'm kind of at a loss what to do with the 10g then. I've had it for months, but never stocked it because I just can't find a fish I like that's fit for a tank that small (originally bought it for the goldfish I wanted only to discover that would absolutely not work). So here's my last question (for now :) that is). I checked all my local stores for the recommended API Master test kit, but no one had one, so I had to order it online. It will be here Tuesday (5 days from now), but until then I'm flying blind. Should I do 50% water changes daily to be safe? I don't mind the work, but would it be harmful to do that?

Good decision! The molly will be fine in the 10 for now. They are not really schooling fish so 1 shoukd be finenas far as I know however if you want 3 a bigger tank will be needed. The reason mollies need larger tanks is they are very dirty fish. The 1 inch per gallon rule is worthless so throw it out. According to fhat rule a 10 inch fish could live in the 10 gallon.
The frog does NOT do better without filtration! You can keep him with all the other fish as long as you make sure he gets food. If you seperate him a sponge filter will be plenty of filtration. African dwarf frogs are social however and you should get more than one.
50% water changes a day will not hurt a thing.

Btw if you want to fill the 10 gallon check out these nano fish: scarlet badis, chilli rasbora, ember tetra, red cherry shrimp.

Good decision! The molly will be fine in the 10 for now. They are not really schooling fish so 1 shoukd be finenas far as I know however if you want 3 a bigger tank will be needed. The reason mollies need larger tanks is they are very dirty fish. The 1 inch per gallon rule is worthless so throw it out. According to fhat rule a 10 inch fish could live in the 10 gallon.
The frog does NOT do better without filtration! You can keep him with all the other fish as long as you make sure he gets food. If you seperate him a sponge filter will be plenty of filtration. African dwarf frogs are social however and you should get more than one.
50% water changes a day will not hurt a thing.

Btw if you want to fill the 10 gallon check out these nano fish: scarlet badis, chilli rasbora, ember tetra, red cherry shrimp.

Agreed with everything that is said here.

The jewel only get better looking as they get older. The better they are taken care of the better they look.

So the African Dwarf does need a filter? All the web sites I researched said the constant vibration from the filter and movement of the water freaks them out, because their skin membrane is so sensitive and because they are such low waste producers they do fine filterless as long as you do a weekly 75-90% water change with pre-prepared water (dechlorinated and left sitting for 24 hours prior to the change). Maybe I could split the difference? Run a filter during the day and turn it off at night to give the little guy a break? Right now he seems really happy with his new home. Since I got him he has spend ALL his time hiding under a rock, only venturing out to take a quick gulp of air then back to the rock. In the new tank he's swimming around, exploring, seems much happier. I gave him plenty of hiding spots, but he seems contend to hang out in the open now. I finally got him to eat a little (1 blood worm), but I'm still having trouble feeding him. I had heard using a turkey baster works, but I can't seem to figure out how to get that to work. I try to slowly eject the food for him, but I just end up sucking up more water. Maybe hand feeding would be the way to go. Any advice on getting him to eat? Thanks GodFan for the tip that he needs a friend. I've been kind of overwhelmed trying to get all my new little fishies (and Kermit the ADF of course!) settled in and happy, I didn't even consider that he would be lonely. I will definitely find him a buddy. Side question- I made a complete rookie mistake today. While doing my WC in the 10g I neglected to turn off the filter when I refilled the tank. The sand flew up into my filter and killed it. Is there a way to do a WC without disturbing the sand? I was pouring really slowly and over a large flat rock, but a 10g is just so small everything disturbs the sand.

So the African Dwarf does need a filter? All the web sites I researched said the constant vibration from the filter and movement of the water freaks them out, because their skin membrane is so sensitive and because they are such low waste producers they do fine filterless as long as you do a weekly 75-90% water change with pre-prepared water (dechlorinated and left sitting for 24 hours prior to the change). Maybe I could split the difference? Run a filter during the day and turn it off at night to give the little guy a break? Right now he seems really happy with his new home. Since I got him he has spend ALL his time hiding under a rock, only venturing out to take a quick gulp of air then back to the rock. In the new tank he's swimming around, exploring, seems much happier. I gave him plenty of hiding spots, but he seems contend to hang out in the open now. I finally got him to eat a little (1 blood worm), but I'm still having trouble feeding him. I had heard using a turkey baster works, but I can't seem to figure out how to get that to work. I try to slowly eject the food for him, but I just end up sucking up more water. Maybe hand feeding would be the way to go. Any advice on getting him to eat? Thanks GodFan for the tip that he needs a friend. I've been kind of overwhelmed trying to get all my new little fishies (and Kermit the ADF of course!) settled in and happy, I didn't even consider that he would be lonely. I will definitely find him a buddy. Side question- I made a complete rookie mistake today. While doing my WC in the 10g I neglected to turn off the filter when I refilled the tank. The sand flew up into my filter and killed it. Is there a way to do a WC without disturbing the sand? I was pouring really slowly and over a large flat rock, but a 10g is just so small everything disturbs the sand.

Yes he needs a filter but a sponge filter would be plenty and less water distrubtion. Its just a air pump with a sponge on the end basically you can make one yourself. He needs it on always.
As far as the sand it is hard lol thats why most of us use larger grained sand.

Back
Top Bottom