Please help me identify these fish. PICS!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1FatFish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all,
I recently purchased these fish from a local fish store.
They have a great reputation.
Anyway, please help me identify this Eel. (3 pics)
and 1 more pic of "I have no idea". I tottally forgot what the owner told me they were.

The 'yellow' fish is about 2.5" and stays right at the top of the tank (just below the water) 95% of the time. He has a flat head.. :+)
Help me out please..

eel1.jpg

eel2.jpg

eel3.jpg

unknown.jpg

Regards,
Richie[/url]

I am not sure, since I don't have these fish. But the "eel" pictures look like the Polypterus pictures that Fruitbat has been posting. He said the lfs where he got them called them "dinosaur eels". PM Fruitbat if he doesn't pop in here!

I popped in :D

Richie...

The fish in the first three pictures is, as An t-iasg correctly stated, a Polypterus. Specifically, it is the Senegal Bichir, Polypterus senegalus. Some dolt at a fish distributor decided to call them 'dinosaur eels' (or whatever flavor of 'eel' is de rigeur). They are not eels at all....in fact....not even closely related. Here's a link to a profile I wrote for Aquarium Advice on this fish: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=21833

The second fish is what they're calling the 'Golden Wonder' Killifish. It is an Asian killifish with the scientific name of Aplocheilus lineatus. They reach up to 4 inches in length and are outstanding jumpers so be sure that your aquarium is tightly covered. They are surface feeders and will eat flake food and other meaty foods that don't sink too quickly. They can live up to four years, unlike a lot of the 'annual' killifish that show up occasionally in pet stores.

Hope this helps! :D

Thanks, Fruitbat; that was fast! (were your ears burning??) :lol:

I'm glad you gave the link to your profile, since Richie was wondering what to feed them in another post.

Ahhh thank you!!!!!!!!!! I am returning this "eel" tomorow..
I had him for a week and have been trying to feed him frozen blood worms and frozen brine shrimp. He takes neither. They told me when I purchased him that he would eat that stuff. Freakin liars...

I am pissed now. It will just be agravating to prepare a special diet for 1 fish.

Thank you so much for the help.

Best Regards,
Richie

Richie....

See your other post for additional comments. I have 6 Polypterus senegalus in sizes varying from 3 inches to 7 inches. They are one of my favorite fish and are actually pretty easy to take care of. He will eventually eat those frozen bloodworms and any small fish in your aquarium :roll:

Fruitbat said:
Richie....

See your other post for additional comments. I have 6 Polypterus senegalus in sizes varying from 3 inches to 7 inches. They are one of my favorite fish and are actually pretty easy to take care of. He will eventually eat those frozen bloodworms and any small fish in your aquarium :roll:

Ditto..I have 14 senegals myself, and not a one turns down any frozen meaty foods I offer.

I've got that Kili and another one somewhat similar. They're pretty cool fish. Once they get well established in your tank they'll develop a really nice color to them. Their tail fin has a really really nice red color to them. I'll post good pics of mine some time.

Careful what to mix with Aplocheilus lineatus (AL). I seen my 2" AL ate a 1" cardinal tetra (i know cause the cardinal's tail poke out from the AL mouth).
Now you know what the big mouth is for :D
They are also extreamly bold.

As mention, they are good jumper. You can try placing some blood worm on a stick few inches from the surface and watch them jump for the worm!!! I did that on my AL time to time. You will amaze how bold they are.

Now i kept my ~3.5" AL alone with a 4" pleco in a 10 gal. I buy feeder guppy for it to eat. Just add 20-30 feeder guppy in the tank and it will last for ~a month.

Btw how many AL you have? If more then 1, then must add some feeder guppy to kept the AL fighting with each other. B4 i add guppy to my 10 gal, I lost 2 female to a male AL (i think is the hormone thingy).

HTH

Vega,
Thank you. My 2 golden wonder kilifish fight with eachother comes feeding time.
Maybe I will try some feeder fish.

Richie

Back
Top Bottom