Please help me identify this plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sindyt89

Aquarium Advice Newbie
<a href=
Hi everyone this is my first post and I'm so excited to have found this forum. I hope to get to know you guys and learn more about the hobby. I m very new at this and I need a little help with a plant. I got this plant 2 days ago and it was gorgeous, now it's turning brown :(. Can someone please help me identify the plant this way I can do the proper research and hopefully save it.
I thank you all in advance

Last edited:
You probably didn't have proper lighting. Stock lights will not be enough for medium to high light plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sorry I thought it uploaded... Here's the pic thanks :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403657488.721221.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403657488.721221.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 76
Im not possitive, buy it looks like a sword, probably an amazon sword. In gravel, and eventually in most substrates, you will need root tabs, which you can make yourself or buy pre-made. Also, you will most likely need to upgrade lighting to something plants can use

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Agreed. Amazon sword. Needs a root tab every few months and decent light.

This was one of my first plants when I started. I had it in a 10 gallon with compact fluorescent lights and a root tab. Most of the leaves turned brown and melted like yours. I pruned them as they died and new leaves emerged and it did fine in those conditions after that. I read that if the plant was grown emersed in the nursery, the emersed leaves will melt and be replaced by healthy immersed leaves. So don't give up on it--it may get worse before it gets better again.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

+1 to Amazon sword. It is actually a pretty hardy plant, I don't know why it's melting. Just trim off the dead leaves and provide it with ideal conditions.

I'm guessing the plant was not in that condition when you got it, therefore it is most likely adjusting to your water as deficiencies don't pop up suddenly. It should shoot up a new leaf or 2 before the rest melt away, but like stated above they are heavy root feeders so root tabs are a must.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom