Please help my fish is dying one after one

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gempk5

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello I posted here maybe I am right or wrong because this is the first post to me, My story is I have tank 47 gallon freshwater but I had 5 paroon shark 2 of them thay dead already.
From last 2 months my fish suffering from disease like White line skin, on some stores thay give me medication Api company ,pimafix does not work and then i try malfix it was work only one for a month and it doesn't work anymore after the disease is coming back , and I use fungus cure now they are under treatment but it seems doesn't work too, I don't know they have bacteria or fungus!,

I will show the picture even that I have it on video but I don't know how to upload it please advise me , my fish is dying , the ammonia level it was a high before but after I am change the water now no more ammonia it's a zero the water condition is good because I give sample to the store to test the water and they said it's good , but they don't understand what the fish thay have ,and no knowledge what is the disease they let me to spend a lot of money and waste my time plus my fish they dying , so please let me know, thank you

Please notes.

Picture number 4 or the green one it's indicated fish recently under medication its name fungus cure, it seems like worse than ever

Salt level it's fine
No ammonia
The tank setup more than 7 months.

Attachments

• 20171107_113844-1280x720.jpg
    20171107_113844-1280x720.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 177
  • 20171107_114121-1280x720.jpg
    20171107_114121-1280x720.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 281
  • 20171107_113841-1280x720.jpg
    20171107_113841-1280x720.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 142
  • 20171114_003258-1280x720.jpg
    20171114_003258-1280x720.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
What filter are you using and what is your water change schedule?
A 7 month old tank with ammonia is not normal..
The fish you have are completely inappropriate for all but the largest commercial aquariums...
Pangasius sanitwongsei (Paroon Shark) — Seriously Fish
I would challenge your fish keeping skills with a different fish that will live and fit in your tank .

Filter name Bio wheel 350 , thank you for your advice

Not to be over critical about your fish choice. I believe your local fish store is responsible for that. As for the apparent poor water conditions, you will soon get better at water management
after dealing with this incident.
IMO, the reason your fungus treatment is not working is simply because the ailment is not a fungus. I'm starting to sound like a stuck record regarding my advice, but that problem looks to be Columnaris. Research that disease. A fungus would be a blessing compared to a Columnaris outbreak.
IMO, if all fish are infected, go ahead and continue treating the tank. If any fish appear to be unaffected. Remove the sick fish asap, as there is little hope for them Try to save the remaining fish.

Meds will not make things better when ammonia levels are high. With ammonia levels high the fish are still breathing toxic. I'd take advice from an expert like v227 and continue meds, keep up on water changes and keep the tank clean as possible.

Not to be over critical about your fish choice. I believe your local fish store is responsible for that. As for the apparent poor water conditions, you will soon get better at water management
after dealing with this incident.
IMO, the reason your fungus treatment is not working is simply because the ailment is not a fungus. I'm starting to sound like a stuck record regarding my advice, but that problem looks to be Columnaris. Research that disease. A fungus would be a blessing compared to a Columnaris outbreak.
IMO, if all fish are infected, go ahead and continue treating the tank. If any fish appear to be unaffected. Remove the sick fish asap, as there is little hope for them Try to save the remaining fish.

Thanks for your advice, after searching I found pictures similar to the symptoms in my fish as you suggestion , now I change water 50% yesterday and i put malfix it's seem to be they are better little bit but the question is why the ammonia return back ? No much waste ,no a lot food ,change water regularly special now I do it twice a week to reduce ammonia.

So what's the right medication for this disease, melafix it seemed doing reduce symptoms but did not kill bacteria

In my mind I want to try triple sulfa but I don't know I need something antibiotic to treating them or what?!

Meds will not make things better when ammonia levels are high. With ammonia levels high the fish are still breathing toxic. I'd take advice from an expert like v227 and continue meds, keep up on water changes and keep the tank clean as possible.

Watch medication I need to use?. by the way I have almost zero level of ammonia.thank you :cool:

API FURAN -2. It will probably damage your BB, and cause a mini cycle. You might try lowering the water temp. To 74-75 degrees, adding aquarium salt as well. Your I. Sharks are very strong fish and might survive the treatment, but don't count on it. I've never been Able to cure Columnaris in an infected fish. I have been Able to prevent seemingly unaffected fish sharing the same infected tank from getting the disease by euthanizing the obvious doomed fish, then upping the WC's for a couple of weeks. Hope things level out soon.

Proper meds for columnaris are kanamycin and furan2 both used together.
One of the best links on it;
Fish Columnaris | Fungus & Saprolegnia | Treatment & Prevention
and another interesting read;
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/columnaris-and-what-i-have-learned...-11839118.html

big thanks. I just did a search on Google and they give me right medication as you said.
Now the water is green from fungus cure medication and I put
yesterday melafix, so how to deal with a new medication do I need change water or just start this medication.:fish2:

I honestly as a breeder and devote hobbyist do not promote the idea of curing fish with bacterial ailments.If the symptoms are clear and individual fish as opposed to whole tank is what is infected I remove and euthanize for better of the rest of the tank.
I also don't firmly enough believe that fish are 'cured ' by our treatments..
Most meds [antibiotics] say to treat for a much shorter span then is used with any other treatment of living creatures....I would plan on treating 10 -14 day and not encourage a strain that is already becoming resistant to many meds.
This on bacterial infections;
You may medicate a beloved sick fish if you wish, but don't return to a community aquarium a fish that has "recovered" from symptoms of bacterial disease once its outward symptoms have been alleviated. "Dropsy" is a case in point. Sometimes a fish recovers enough from a bout of severe ascites to lead an outwardly-normal life. Then the "cured" fish is returned to the community aquarium, where it may become a sub-clinical carrier of bacteria, free of visible symptoms. A sub-clinical carrier remains a source of infection for all your other fish. When it dies quietly among the plants, a couple of months after the episode of "dropsy," the two events may not seem connected. Initial quarantine, even a full four weeks' time, may not be long enough to identify weakened fish that are bacterial carriers before they enter your system. It's quite probable that all your fish have already been exposed to a variety of bacteria that could be pathogenic, given the right circumstances.
Taken from;
https://web.archive.org/web/20160308182017/http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/bacterial-infections

API FURAN -2. It will probably damage your BB, and cause a mini cycle. You might try lowering the water temp. To 74-75 degrees, adding aquarium salt as well. Your I. Sharks are very strong fish and might survive the treatment, but don't count on it. I've never been Able to cure Columnaris in an infected fish. I have been Able to prevent seemingly unaffected fish sharing the same infected tank from getting the disease by euthanizing the obvious doomed fish, then upping the WC's for a couple of weeks. Hope things level out soon.

So no kanamycin and furan2 ::confused:

TEMP ITS 72

I keep changing the water since 2 weeks ago so far, but the disease is still available

As Bandit plainly explained, and i was implying, with an outbreak as severe as yours it's best to euthanize the affected fish, and try to save the seemingly unaffected fish. Antibiotics rarely cure Columnaris infections. Although you are observing the outward symptoms, (white fungus looking growth) the bacteria has already done unrepairable damage to the gills and vital organs.
IMO, start over. Drain the tank, replace the filter material, cycle the tank. Research the types of fish you would like to stock. Be sure to ask your fellow members any questions regarding fish types, tank maintenence, or equipment.

As Bandit plainly explained, and i was implying, with an outbreak as severe as yours it's best to euthanize the affected fish, and try to save the seemingly unaffected fish. Antibiotics rarely cure Columnaris infections. Although you are observing the outward symptoms, (white fungus looking growth) the bacteria has already done unrepairable damage to the gills and vital organs.
IMO, start over. Drain the tank, replace the filter material, cycle the tank. Research the types of fish you would like to stock. Be sure to ask your fellow members any questions regarding fish types, tank maintenence, or equipment.

There is nothing damage to the gills and vital organs. No symptoms at all, are you guys thinking I have this in my tank ?

The fish are in your tank and the issue [we believe] is water borne so it seem likely this disease is in your tank ,yes.

It's gotta be (in my eyes) if you've had your fish for awhile and the ammonia levels get high like that, it's gonna make the fish sick. That's why we all say "water changes, water changes, water changes..." And cleanings. Change filter, clean filter. it's very important.

I'd be testing the water alot and doing lots of water changes. If you can I'd be taking the fish out and doing a huge cleaning on the tank and everything in it. If you really want to save them. But that's just my opinion and what I would do. And I'd do alot of water 50%changes ALOT! after everything is back together.

I'd be testing the water alot and doing lots of water changes. If you can I'd be taking the fish out and doing a huge cleaning on the tank and everything in it. If you really want to save them. But that's just my opinion and what I would do. And I'd do alot of water 50%changes ALOT! after everything is back together.

Today I was tested the water as a picture showing and after this result I change 50% of water and i bring with me kanamycin , unfortunately there is no furan 2 in Canada it's not allowed by Canada government. So it's okay to start kanamycin itself without furan2 ?, I saw Triple sulfa in the store but I didn't buy it, what's your guys suggestion,ton thanks

Attachments

• 20171116_030545.jpg
    20171116_030545.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 117
You need to at least two more 50% water changes.
Your nitrate was 300+ ,so 50% water change gets you to 150+ nitrates...
Two more separate 50% changes should get you in the 40+ range...

Back
Top Bottom