Please help! New tank start up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spyderco93

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have a 55 gallon tank I jut set up, fist thing I did was add prime( three days ago) then today I added tetra safe start and 6 zebra danios am I on the right track I expect to wait a month for the cycle also I do not know what fish to stock I think I want angle fish but any tips would be great this is my first day on this forum thanks

Yea the person at my lfs said this was all I need to do but I have been reading a lot and others say I have gone down the wrong path

There is nothing wrong with fish-in cycling as long as you can keep up with water changes to keep your fish safe. Do you have a good test kit for testing your params?

Oh and welcome to AA!

and in the last week I went from a 10 gallon to a 29 then decided to return the 29 and I got the 55 but only introduced fish into the 55:) lol

I know all about being impatient both with fresh and saltwater and wound up losing many fish when I first started many, many years ago.
People tell me fish keeping has come a long way since, that by adding certain products to the water one can speed up the biological processes of cycling the filter and yet I keep reading over and over how things don't work or fish die when trying to speed up things.
I know this sounds like a lecture but it is a lecture I wish I' had learned when it was told to me back then.
The only way I can advice anyone to cycle a tank or actually to cycle the filter is to buy a few "sacrificial" fish, like feeders, or some other hardy fish, put them in the tank and let it run, yes it will take about a month unless one has access to an established filter from a friend or LFS and take a bit of the "dirty" filter floss and mix it in with the new filter to introduce good bacteria into the new filter.
Once the filter has been established, do not ever throw away any of the filter media, just slightly rinse it leaving some of the "dirt" or bacteria attach to it.
I hope this can be of help.

Back
Top Bottom