Please help stock my 225 gallon tank - I'm not familiar with larger fish. Need ideas!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubble_B0y

Aquarium Advice Addict
It's a 6-foot tank (the tank dimensions are 180L x 60W x 75H)

so far I have:
6 spotted silver dollars
1 tiger oscar

I'm looking to create a community tank. But I don't know any larger fish that are compatible with oscars. So I need some advice.

You could try a big catfish, like a common pleco since you have the room for one :)

MAYBE you have room for another type of cichlid or more dither fish.

thanks for your responses.

I have compiled a list of fish that I like, but i'm not sure if they are compatible.
Which ones will work best with my silver dollars & oscar?

leporinus
severum
arowana
flagtail
bala sharks
Tinfoil Barbs
jack dempsey
Bichir
Parrot cichlid

Bubble_B0y said:
thanks for your responses.

I have compiled a list of fish that I like, but i'm not sure if they are compatible.
Which ones will work best with my silver dollars & oscar?

leporinus
severum
arowana
flagtail
bala sharks
Tinfoil Barbs
jack dempsey
Bichir
Parrot cichlid

Sorry I'm not familiar with all the fish on there but I'll do my best!
Severum-may or may not work. Maybe you should go ask severum mama herself! :)
Arowana-that I know isn't going to fit, they need 8 foot long minimum because they need a tank at least twice their length.
Bala sharks-could work
Tinfoil barbs-your barbs and dollars could act as dither fish for the tank
Jack Dempsey-not sure how that would work out with the Oscar
Parrot cichlid- I think they're too peaceful for an Oscar
JMO. Good luck! :)

Bubble_B0y said:
what about Red-Tail shark?
or Kissing Gourami ?

I had 2 fully grown kissing gourami they were very aggressive to fish bigger and smaller than them

I did some research. The following fish are compatible with both the silver dollars and oscar (apart from the standard bottom feeders -catfish, loaches)

Banded leporinus
severum
flagtail prochilodus
jack dempsey

bala sharks (needs to be kept in groups)
Tinfoil Barbs (needs to be kept in groups)

Sturgeon? I have one in my 150g with bichers, clown knife and 4 cichlids.

Oh, yeah, the clown knife.

The knife and sturgeon are both very interesting fish, and can get 30-40 inches.
The way I see it, that gives me several years to build my own 300+ gallon tank to house the big suckers.

Also consider:

Spotted African leaf fish.
My two rainbow sharks are doing fine with this semi aggressive lot as well.

that's probably right, i have barbs, bala sharks, jd's and a prochilodus and they get along just fine. haven't stuck an oscar in there though, but mostly cause i know how big they get

I have a friend that has a 200g and he has Severum, silver dollars, tinfoil barbs, blood parrots, pleco and some kind of catfish with his TO and they all do well together! :)

true they might not; it's kinda risky for me to put a TO in my tank as much as I'd like an oscar. Then again, what do TO's really get along with?lol And my jd's are electric/powder blue and i've heard that they may be less aggressive than regular jd's so i'm afraid an oscar would beat them them around

Jeffekins said:
true they might not; it's kinda risky for me to put a TO in my tank as much as I'd like an oscar. Then again, what do TO's really get along with?lol And my jd's are electric/powder blue and i've heard that they may be less aggressive than regular jd's so i'm afraid an oscar would beat them them around

To be quite honest with you my TO gets along pretty well in his 75g with his tank mates, but he's fairly moody what he tolerates one day like sharing his food for example he might not tolerate the next he mostly picks on the silver dollar but most of his tank mates know when he's in that mood and they stay out of his way, lol! I can't say I blame them!! :)

Id get a large plec or two. Maybe a royal or two? L014 and L024 are also some of my fav larger plecs.

I love Arowanna and would love to have one one day. idk how itd do in your tank.

Jeffekins said:
haha can't say I blame them either :p what's more aggressive you think? the tiger oscar or the albino oscar?

As far as I know they're about the same personality wise, but I'm not 100% sure on that. As far as aggression I have other fish that are much more agressive than my TO! Lol! I have a kissing gourami that besides the tiger Oscar runs the rest of the fish around! He attacks them with his big sucker lips almost like a pleco!! He's really mean! I had two that I had adopted and I'm pretty sure he killed the other one! He's also mean to my BP and bullies him around! He's much worse than my TO and after seeing his disposition I personally would never get another pink kissing gourami! :)

haha my prochilodus has big kissing sucker lips too but he's just a big happy vegetarian fish. All his tank mates leave him be and he lets them go about their business too. wow he bullies bp's around? Gotta be a pretty tough gourami to take on those bp's :p

Jeffekins said:
haha my prochilodus has big kissing sucker lips too but he's just a big happy vegetarian fish. All his tank mates leave him be and he lets them go about their business too. wow he bullies bp's around? Gotta be a pretty tough gourami to take on those bp's :p

Lol! Yeah but my blood parrot is very timid and shy although he IS bigger than the gourami he still let's the gourami bully him most of the time! But every once in awhile he will take a stand and fight back especially when he's really hungry! Most of the time the gourami try's to keep the poor little guy from eating!! I adopted him ( the gourami) from the same person who I adopted the TO from because she didn't want them anymore and honestly she was taking horrible care of them she was only doing water changes in a 55g every 4 to 6 weeks!! And she had 2 kissing Gouramis the TO, 2 huge plecos and a silver dollar!!! I felt so bad for all of them and already had plenty of tanks of my own but I took them all since they were living in such horrible conditions and they all survived and I nursed them all back to good health and separated some of them and put the TO in a 75g. I still have all of them but one sail fin pleco I have a friend who has a 200g and he loved the HUGE sail fin and wanted him for his 200g tank! If I hadnt adopted them when I did they might have all died!! I don't know how they were living in those conditions!! But anyway that's why I keep the gourami since he's been with the TO for so long they seem to like each other!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom