Please help with an unexpected 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheresaM

Aquarium Advice Addict
So the spouse stopped at Petsmart this evening and brought home a 10g.....

Not a bad surprise...I have enough substrate on hand (I think), filter, heater, lots of plants in various holding stages.

I'm going to have him pick up a basic AGA glass top. I need suggestions for a decent, basic strip light. Nothing going in the tank requires high light and I'm not planning to add anything that will. The tank will get a lot of natural sunlight though.

How many osmocote tabs would you suggest for a 10g?

My pumpkin shrimp are definitely going in this tank, otherwise I have no plans. Like I said the main reason for getting this was to get all these plants in one place until I sell them, trade, whatever.

Anyhow, is there anything I could keep in a moderate to heavily planted 10g that might not eat shrimp fry? It's not a deal breaker, I really don't want a 10g with just shrimp. I already have Endlers and CPDs so those are the only two fish out of the question.

Thanks again!

You could try Scarlet Badis, might snatch themselves some baby shrimp every now and then, but if it is well planted and lots of cover then your population of shrimp will grow.

Nils

Sparkling gouramis

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You could try Scarlet Badis, might snatch themselves some baby shrimp every now and then, but if it is well planted and lots of cover then your population of shrimp will grow.

I really like them a lot but don't they tend to stay towards the bottom? I'm hoping to find something mid to top of the tank.

Micro Rasboras
Otos
Ember Tetras
Threadfin Rainbows
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422520619.930202.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422520638.532630.jpg

Pics don't do them justice. Subtle but beautiful color. Even the females are nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There are a few different types of micro rasboras that I'm interested in. Until the weather gets warmer I'm going to put some of my Endlers in there to give the girls a break :rolleyes:

Boraras maculatus! I just got some and I love them.
I also have Pygmy cories and otos. I thought about some blue eyes (dwarf rainbows) but don't think I will end up getting them. I like the emerald eye rasboras too.

Boraras maculatus! I just got some and I love them.
I also have Pygmy cories and otos. I thought about some blue eyes (dwarf rainbows) but don't think I will end up getting them. I like the emerald eye rasboras too.

I was so close to placing an order for chili rasboras, but guilt got to me and I had to move the male Endlers and give the poor girls a break. The number of fry almost tripled after the boys were out....

I have pygmies and otos in my CPD tank and I'm waiting for my order of blue eyes to arrive....seems we have similar taste in fish (y)

The chilis were my first choice but the maculatus popped up at the auction I was at and I had to have them.
I also plan on getting some CPDs as I haven't kept them before. I keep insisting I'm going to do sparkling gourami in one of my tanks but they're not exactly compatible with the other fish/shrimp I have at the moment.
If you come across anything else cool keep me posted!

The chilis were my first choice but the maculatus popped up at the auction I was at and I had to have them.
I also plan on getting some CPDs as I haven't kept them before. I keep insisting I'm going to do sparkling gourami in one of my tanks but they're not exactly compatible with the other fish/shrimp I have at the moment.
If you come across anything else cool keep me posted!

Will do!

The CPDs are so small but have such great color! I'm looking forward to the blue eyes, first rainbow fish for me!

I've kept boesemanis before but that's it. I had such a hard time finding any blue eyes and I have never ordered fish online...plus they don't live very long so as a long term tank inhabitant they would really need to be bred (12-18 mo I think), and for the price and hassle I just decided not to, but that's just me. That just means more room for CPDs pygmies and rasboras :)

Back
Top Bottom