PLEASE HELP WITH FISH (molly, gourami, platy, catfish, snail)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

helpmewithfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
BACKGROUND: I've had a ten-gallon aquarium set up since the beginning of May this year. Since then, I have moved off to college and brought my fish with me. They went from a horizontal rectangle tank to a vertical hexagon tank. The tank has been running in the dorm for about 3 weeks now.

ISSUE: I've noticed the fish were acting strangely, so I did some observations. Here's what I found.
-Freshwater
-Temperature: 82 degrees F (a little warmer than usual)
-Plant life: Marimo moss ball, dwarf hair-grass, and lucky bamboo.
-Fish species: Balloon Bellied Molly (3), Dwarf Gourami (1), Sunset Platy (1), Cory Cat Fish (2), Golden Mystery Snail (1)
-the fish hangout near the airstone, plants, filter, ad top of tank (snail particularly)
-green-ish water, little "mold-like" spores floating around
-Gourami: little white fuzz on hairlike fin, gone now
-Molly: tread water, fast respiration, chill near plants/under decorations
-Cat Fish: swim up and down the tank wall, frequent near the top

Here's a picture of the tank:

11998491_10204765148276798_1467957759_n.jpg

WHATS WRONG??

My guess, tank was never cycled. What you tested the water?

First thing you need to do is calm down and focus. Fish won't get better faster with you freaking out :)

List of what you need to do:
1. Multiple 50% water changes.
2. Test you water with a Liquid Test Kit.
3. Post the Results on here so we can help you out more.

Caleb

A.)it isnt a big enough tank. The Platies may be ok, maybe the Cories if you added at least 2 more. Mollies and Gourami, too big.

B.)probably isnt cycled. Look up "aquarium nitrogen cycle" to find information. This is within the top 3 things that you have to UNDERSTAND, not just "get" as a fish keeper to keep fish healthy.

So yeah, lets us know about levels of Nitrate, Nitrite, and Ammonia, if you can. Size of the tank and dimensions as well.

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

It looks like it is 5 gallon but it is unusually high. I think it may be a 15 gallon. I hear that 15 gallons are tall and skinny, is it true?

It looks like it is 5 gallon but it is unusually high. I think it may be a 15 gallon. I hear that 15 gallons are tall and skinny, is it true?

They have the same base as a 10 but are taller.

Its less than 10 i think...

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

They have the same base as a 10 but are taller.

Its less than 10 i think...

the tank is 10 gallons, its a hexagon with a length of 7 and a height of 17.5

I dont have an ammonia tester so i took the water down to petco to get it tested and they said it was good

Petco always says its good.

Thats basically asking someone who knows nearly nothing to use equipment that barely works to test water. And on top of that, there job is just to sell you stuff. The API Master Test kit is like 25 bucks online. Great investment.

And still, 10 gallons isn't enough. I don't really think its 10 gallons anyways.

My 5 gallon bucket has much larger base than that and i think almost the same height (not ever measured it) and its five gallons. I don't think its 10

And those dimensions aren't really appropriate for a Gourami or any bottom feeder.

ok i understand that you don't believe it's 10 gallons but if you find the volume of a hexagonal prism, and you put in 7 inches for the side and 17.5 inches for the length, and you do the math, its 10 gallons.

also turns out its algae growth in the water so its all resolved

I just thought of something, most people have trouble getting algae off of a rectangular tank with only 4 sides. While You have a 6 sided tank, you have a lot of work to do if you get algae.

Thats basically asking someone who knows nearly nothing to use equipment that barely works to test water. And on top of that, there job is just to sell you stuff. The API Master Test kit is like 25 bucks online. Great investment.

And still, 10 gallons isn't enough. I don't really think its 10 gallons anyways.

My 5 gallon bucket has much larger base than that and i think almost the same height (not ever measured it) and its five gallons. I don't think its 10

And those dimensions aren't really appropriate for a Gourami or any bottom feeder.

ok i understand that you don't believe it's 10 gallons but if you find the volume of a hexagonal prism, and you put in 7 inches for the side and 17.5 inches for the length, and you do the math, its 10 gallons.

also turns out its algae growth in the water so its all resolved

The tank is a 10 gallon hex, I looked it up on Aqadvisor. And I'd say you should probably rehome those cories, as that tank doesn't have a base that is really big enough for them

Sent via echolocation

Thats basically asking someone who knows nearly nothing to use equipment that barely works to test water.
Whenever my fish from there have died and we bothered to take them back, they always said something like this. "The water is good", "this is a tad bit to high". They never said anything about my water being bad.

The tank is a 10 gallon hex, I looked it up on Aqadvisor. And I'd say you should probably rehome those cories, as that tank is too deep for them and the base isn't really big enough for them

Sent via echolocation

Out of curiosity.. How does depth pertain to cories? They are bottom dwellers I do not set depth playing a role in them?

Caleb

Out of curiosity.. How does depth pertain to cories? They are bottom dwellers I do not set depth playing a role in them?

Caleb

Oooops, Haha just noticed I brought in depth, i don't know why, as you are right that it doesn't change anything. I'll edit that right away

Sent via echolocation

Oooops, Haha just noticed I brought in depth, i don't know why, as you are right that it doesn't change anything. I'll edit that right away

Sent via echolocation

Lol I was getting a little confused there seeing as I have cories in a 30 inch tall tank...

Caleb

Last edited by a moderator:
i've literally cycled my tank though like @rocky the temperature was a tad too high? not nitrate/nitrite, ammonia, etc.

i've literally cycled my tank though like @rocky the temperature was a tad too high? not nitrate/nitrite, ammonia, etc.

Alright guys lets take a step back...

3 weeks is not enough most of the time to completely finish a cycle. That being said, can you get some real numbers for ammonia nitrite and nitrate?

Some other things also: your bamboo is only semi aquatic, if the leaves are not above the water the plant will slowly rot. And this tank IMO is too small for any Cory species. A standard 10g(more surface area) is really only suitable for Pygmy corydora. They are active fish and need floor space to move around.

Now hope we can clear things :)

Caleb

The tank is a 10 gallon hex, I looked it up on Aqadvisor. And I'd say you should probably rehome those cories, as that tank doesn't have a base that is really big enough for them

Sent via echolocation

Ok. I believe that its 10 gallons. Second opinions help when I'm being to lazy to look it up myself.

Sorry to the OP

*yells at self for being lazy ?*

Ok. So.

You need to do a few things to fix this tank up nice and proper.

Before anything, look up the Nitrogen Cycle for aquariums. You can find a lot of info. This is known as cycling and is the most important step to do before getting fish.

First, i would remove the Cories altogether. As a bottom dweller, they need ample space to roam around and forage/scavenge for food. The small footprint of this tank really doesn't allow this.

Next, i would consider removing the Mollies. These aren't too bad, but they can get up to 3 inches and the poop a lot. It isn't the best fish for your tank.

Now, if the remaining fish don't exactly sound too great, we can work on a list of fish for the tank. I would suggest a Betta, the don't swim a ton and can do well in this tank. It will occupy the upper level and it is a pretty fish. Also, maybe consider some shrimps. Ghost Shrimp, Cherry Shrimp, or possibly Amano Shrimp. They look cool, add a bit off movement, and help the fish waste dissolve faster. An African Dwarf frog isn't a great option for a taller tank but it could work. Now, i know that you would be looking for more options. Tall skinny tanks usually aren't good for fish. Personally, i would do:

1xBetta
1xAfrican Dwarf Frog
15x Red Cherry Shrimp

Also, as a note to the OP: im sorry if i said anything that didn't exactly go down too well with you. :)

Ok I removed some of the posts that were not relevant to the thread. Lets try to help the OP out by using tact and understanding. They need our help.

Back
Top Bottom