Please ID this algae eater fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
Saw this at pet store. I have algae problem in my tank and can't lower the lights because my hc cuba needs bright lights. Can anyone please id this algae eater and if it is a good cleaning guy and also touch black beard algae too and is it peaceful to other tank mates?

https://youtu.be/txWAtY_d36Y

Please reply. Thanks.

Since the video is gone I can't actually *see* the fish & when I Google "Gyrinocheilos aymonieri" I get both Chinese & Siamese Algae Eater pics(sometimes in the same post) and descriptions so all I can say is IF it is an SAE you're ok, a CAE your asking for trouble. A Siamese Algae Eater will eat BBA and ignore it's tank mates. A Chinese Algae eater can be aggressive and mine are very little algae of any kind. So J reccomend being very sure of which fish it it

Since the video is gone I can't actually *see* the fish & when I Google "Gyrinocheilos aymonieri" I get both Chinese & Siamese Algae Eater pics(sometimes in the same post) and descriptions so all I can say is IF it is an SAE you're ok, a CAE your asking for trouble. A Siamese Algae Eater will eat BBA and ignore it's tank mates. A Chinese Algae eater can be aggressive and mine are very little algae of any kind. So J reccomend being very sure of which fish it it
Took a screenshot for you. On watching the video its the mouth of a sucking loach, body and eyes of a flying fox. 20180908_141128.jpeg

Loads of variations on these fish but that is the breed
Took a screenshot for you. On watching the video its the mouth of a sucking loach, body and eyes of a flying fox. View attachment 310364
From the colour I'd say a Gold CHINESE Algae eater, buyer beware

View attachment 310365
This is what you want
That's a pretty typical Chinese Algea Eater
Thanks a lot for all the info. I am actually searching for differences among a Chinese algae eater a flying fox and a true Siamese algae eater and really its not as easy as it seems. I talked with store and this is what i bought. He guaranteed me its a Siamese algae eater as he has Chinese already so i was concerned if its a flying fox but he guaranteed its not. Can you please look and tell if he is right?

20180909_003257.jpg

20180909_011714.jpg

20180909_011703.jpg

Please reply. Thanks.

True SAE.
CAE have loopy markings like chain links down their side center that stop at base of tail.
SAE have solid line down side center that continues through the tale.
You got the right one !

True SAE.
CAE have loopy markings like chain links down their side center that stop at base of tail.
SAE have solid line down side center that continues through the tale.
You got the right one !
Thanks a lot Coral. So sweet of you. Do i need to feed him anything? I mainly got him for algae problem as i have very bright lights and they are required for nature of plants. Also will it eat any left over food too from carpet? Like angels and rams make a lot of mess. Please reply. Thanks.

They will eat fish food once they get a taste of it. Great fish!!

Back
Top Bottom