Please ID this hitch hiker!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dangreen7

Aquarium Advice Regular
Yet more problems with my new plants, just found this thing, it is alive as it moved around in its separate container. Any help would be great, thanks!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399212231.835091.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399212247.760647.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399212263.954294.jpg

I can't really see what it is but it looks like some sort of snail. These usually turn up on new plants. They breed like crazy tho apparently and your bound to have more than one.

Is it flat? Lools to me like a limpet. Basically a dlat snail. They breed like mad then seem to have a die off the come back. Dont hurt anything though. If you have good eyes you can see their mouths movinh like a snails when they are on the glass.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the help guys, yeah it is quite flat so I suppose it's more likely to be a limpet. I will try and get some clearer photos tonight!

HI dangreen. I had some snails, not limpets when I added some java fern. I had 4 dwarf chain loaches, and they ate them up real quick. The chain loaches are good at it as they can easily fit between the plants, however I'm not very sure about its effectiveness at clearing limpets. But they did well at clearing pond snails for me

Sent from my LG-P880 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

HI dangreen. I had some snails, not limpets when I added some java fern. I had 4 dwarf chain loaches, and they ate them up real quick. The chain loaches are good at it as they can easily fit between the plants, however I'm not very sure about its effectiveness at clearing limpets. But they did well at clearing pond snails for me

Sent from my LG-P880 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Limpets are very snall and flat so I dont know if the loaches would be inyerested.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the help guys, I don't have any loaches in my tank, but I have separated the limpet into a separate container filled with tank water and a off cut of the plant that it was attached to when I found it, I guess I will wait until it grows a bit to find out what it is for sure. I will have another good look around the tank but I have not seen any more of them. Thanks again for the help!

Back
Top Bottom