Please identify my new cichlids.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought three cichlids from pet store. They had one tank of assorted cichlid fish.

Are they African Malawi or South American and also if they are omnivorous and need a staple diet?

Please identify and share.

Pink Cichlid.

1485920463202.jpg

Blueish Cichlid

1485920488123.jpg

Mixed color Cichlid

1485920520693.jpg
1485920602081.jpg

Please identify as many as u can. Thanks.

THe pink cichlid is certainly a Dragonblood Peacock, and a nicely colored specimen. THe bottom pics look like a peacock that isn't colored up. The center fish I'm not certain about. I would say, however, with 95% certainty, that all are Malawi cichlids.

Pic 1 is the dragonblood
Pic 2 is too hard to tell for me
Pic 3 and 4 are the jacobfreibergi

Well they dont look too happy also some fin nipping going on.
Sir how u identify a happy fish by a picture? Sad faces? Lol

I bought them two days ago and very active and no fin nipping at my tank.

Sir how u identify a happy fish by a picture? Sad faces? Lol

I bought them two days ago and very active and no fin nipping at my tank.

"unhappiness" can generally be determined by coloration/behavior/overall physical appearance.
The nipping could have happened at whatever you bought them from...

The coloration are excellent except for one who isn't colored up yet and they are very active and not being bothered by any fish. Yes nipping may have been there at the store

The coloration on the jacos are not great. They will get better in time ime sure. Yes the fin nippin may have happend prior to your purchase, but just keep an eye out.

Keep in mind that there is no judgement being passed here. I sense a bit of defensiveness, if not, all good!
We're here to care for our fish, tanks, plants etc thats all...

This is my Jacob/Eureka. Very beautiful fish. Bright blue heads and very red/orange body with bright white on top of fin. Love his colors and currently breeding.
IMG_4323.jpg

Thats what a good coloration on a jaco looks like. Ive had one before and i named him blade because from the top the white looks like teeth on a saw blade

I have some non dominate males that don't have the pretty wide whites and have darker stripes.

Also had a sub dominate male that has no color at all. I got 5 1" juvies and ended up with 4 males and 1 female. My female has had 3 sets of fry and holding her 4th now. I didn't even notice the first 2 times and only had 1 from time survive. I bought a 20g tank to keep fry in and have 10 from her 3rd time and have her in a breeding net now to keep they other fry from eating the new fry. Might strip her this weekend if she doesn't start spitting them soon. She held for 2.5 weeks last time and then was feeding on flakes. I thought she ended up swallowing them but found some fry a couple weeks later. Idk if she only had 10 or only 10 survived. Right now I have 4 males and 2 1.5" juvies in my 29g tall tank. Working on getting a 55g set up to move my adult/juvies into soon and use the 29g as a grow out tank. Plan on selling them to my LFS and shipping possibly.

Back
Top Bottom