Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-05-2006, 06:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Please...some advice on moving decor and plants...

Hi all. I've come to rely on your expertise and experience and would like a little help here.
I've got to the point where I want to move some fish out of my 65 and into the 29 which is done cycling. I'd like to move my rams and my synodontis, leaving just the discus, clown loaches and plecos in the 65. I'd like to move some plants now, too, as I've finally got (in my head) where I want everything.
I've tried catching the rams - no easy task given the plants and driftwood. So I was thinking of pulling the wood, then catching the guys I want moved, then putting everything back in. But what concerns me is stressing everyone out.
When ya'all get to doing a major renovation, do you just do that? I mean, just move everything? Or do you pull out a bunch of the fish for a temp solution or what?
Am I worried too much about the stress? I was thinking it would probably take an hour, tops. Should I just go ahead, then let everyone calm down?
TIA!

4 discus, 5 clown loaches, 4 oto cats, 3 SAE's, 1 gold nugget pleco (L177), 1 clown pleco, java fern, vallisneria gigantea rubra, amazon sword, anubias nana, bacopa, crypts and a HUGE anubias! 130w Aqualight 6700k PC, Co2 injected
65g: Magawi cichlid
6 cichlids, 1 common pleco 8", 2 synodontis cat, plastic plants, anacharis, amazon sword. 36w single tube.
29g: community
2 dwarf gourami, 1 King Tiger pleco (L066), 2 discus, 1 BN plec, 1 long-fin golden ram, 3 clown loaches, vals, amazon and african sword, anubias nana. 65w 6700k Aqualight 6700k PC, DIY Co2 (testing)
20g: guppy
otos, bn plec (tiny), many guppies (for babies to feed the cichlids!), anubias, anacharis, yellowstripe, the list goes on.... 30w 6700k
10g: QT & plant
anubias nana, anacharis, dwarf vals. 96w Aqualight 6700k
NorCalAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

In my experience, it's best to just do it and get everything (and everyone) settled back into their tanks.

Voodoo Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just changed out everything (except the substrate - I don't have one LOL) in my 29G when I added some live plants. No causualties but did get an ick spot on one of the fish a couple of days later which may have been stress related (no way to tell, really). The fish didn't freak out while I was doing it, they just pretty much stuck to the other side of the tank except for a few adventurous peeks over to where I was working.

As for catching fish in a planted tank, I recently read a post that said to try and use a larger net and pretty much herd the fish into the net. Another suggestion was to lure them into a clear container or baggy with some food (just make sure the container / baggy haven't ever had any contaminants <like soap> in them)

Good luck and let us know how it goes
Old 07-05-2006, 06:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
I rearrange and remove and replace objects frequently, the fish will be fine. Do a good water change afterwards as you will stir up a good deal of muck.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

big white/bright colored net stationary.
green net to lure/push fish into larger white/bright net.

OR

catch them in the morning when they are still sleeping. guaranteed they wont move an inch.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I agree with chotie on the net usage but disagree on which net to use in which spot. Fish feel safer in the green nets (someone did an experiment) so I would suggest using the green net as the stationary net and the white one to gently/slowly herd them to it. They seem to feel safer going into a green net.
Another ingenious capture tool that someone shared is to take a 2 liter pop bottle (really cleaned up not with soap though), cut off the top and invert it into the bottom of the bottle. Put some food in the bottle and sink it. The fish can swim into the bottle but have a hard time getting back out. Of course this only works if your fish are small enough to fit in the neck.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks all.
I did the deed this morning - including moving the fish. The rams were NOT cooperative!
I also rearranged stuff to hopefully reduce the friction between the discus, which I did not introduce all together. They are all schooling together right now, so it seems to have worked.
I also got the chance to redo the plants into something that looks like it was planned, rather than helter-skelter. Much better, imho!
I'm sure I was the most stressed out when it was done, but both tanks look much better.
Again, thanks for the advice!
4 discus, 5 clown loaches, 4 oto cats, 3 SAE's, 1 gold nugget pleco (L177), 1 clown pleco, java fern, vallisneria gigantea rubra, amazon sword, anubias nana, bacopa, crypts and a HUGE anubias! 130w Aqualight 6700k PC, Co2 injected
65g: Magawi cichlid
6 cichlids, 1 common pleco 8", 2 synodontis cat, plastic plants, anacharis, amazon sword. 36w single tube.
29g: community
2 dwarf gourami, 1 King Tiger pleco (L066), 2 discus, 1 BN plec, 1 long-fin golden ram, 3 clown loaches, vals, amazon and african sword, anubias nana. 65w 6700k Aqualight 6700k PC, DIY Co2 (testing)
20g: guppy
otos, bn plec (tiny), many guppies (for babies to feed the cichlids!), anubias, anacharis, yellowstripe, the list goes on.... 30w 6700k
10g: QT & plant
anubias nana, anacharis, dwarf vals. 96w Aqualight 6700k
NorCalAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 01:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

photos ?

Tags
deco, decor, moving, plant, plants

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com