Please some help!! too much snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefman

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone, im here posting cause i really need a lot of help. In my tank there is a lot of snails, like millions of it. I was thinking to dismantle the tank, but them is hard cause i have natural plants and everything. Maybe someone knows about any fish that eats them. Any tricks i could do.

HELP PLEASE!!!

Loaches are supposed to eat snails. If you get a loach, make sure it won't get too big for your tank. Clown loaches get big. Other than that, don't overfeed the tank. Snail populations explode when there is a lot of uneaten food for them to feast on.

Clown loaches love snails. They will eat them all night long. They do get big but dont grow very fast. If FW of course.

If it is a freshwater tank maxed out with fish I would think assassin snails would work to keep them under control.

snails will only breed if they have food. if you stop over feeding you will see the population go down. i wouldnt ever suggest adding a fish to a tank with out knowing what size the tank is and whats in it also.

try putting a piece of letuce or cucumber it the tank they will swarm to it just keep doing that and it should help. yes loaches do eat snails

I love my yoyo loach. he is one of the most interesting fish I ever had. He's been with me for years now too.

What size tank do you have? I wouldn't put loaches in anything smaller than 40 gallons....unless its Kuhli loaches which I don't think eat snails.

DYI snail trap.

1 punnet of strawberries
Eat the strawberries YUM!!! :)
wash container + lid (this is the trap)

If the container doesn't have holes in it, poke some out with a metal skewer or something similar.

Put a rock or something in the container as a weigh
Put cucumber or some algae wafers in the container
Put container's lid on
Put container in the tank.

24 hours later, I guarentee the trap will have heaps of snails in it. Remove the container and wash.

Repeat as often as needed.

Works wonders to treat the immediate issue

Back
Top Bottom