pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterfly_koi

Aquarium Advice Addict
What is a good size tank for a common pleco? I've heard 40, 55, and 65. When I get my new tank up and running I want to make sure I have enough room for him to swim freely without restrictions

I've always read a125 minimum to be honest...
Why not get a clown, bristlenose, or even mango pleco instead?

For a common, yes. Mind you that these fish grow 18+ inches, and can become quite territorial! They are catfish after all ;) like I said, I'd look into smaller species, as there are several hundred species of pleco

calfishguy said:
IMO that should be ok but others will most likely disagree.

The problem is stunting growth. Basically, the body stops growing, but the organs continue to grow. It's a nasty thing to think about, let alone put a living organism through. Plecos seem to be prone to this as well due to their hard armor shell

Freakgecko91 said:
For a common, yes. Mind you that these fish grow 18+ inches, and can become quite territorial! They are catfish after all ;) like I said, I'd look into smaller species, as there are several hundred species of pleco

How fast do they grow

Quite fast. And that's beyond he fact. Be prepared for his entire life, not just as long as your tank will hold him

Freakgecko91 said:
Quite fast. And that's beyond he fact. Be prepared for his entire life, not just as long as your tank will hold him

This I totally agree with! I thought that the 75 would be enough though :( I guess I'll have to rehome him. I would love to keep him but something tells me that my husband might drop a brick if I bought that big of a tank.

butterfly_koi said:
This I totally agree with! I thought that the 75 would be enough though :( I guess I'll have to rehome him. I would love to keep him but something tells me that my husband might drop a brick if I bought that big of a tank.

Just trying to lighten the mood... Warn him bout dropping bricks in/near aquariums.... Glass plus rocks dont mix lol v

Like I said, there are tons of other, much cooler pleco species! I love my clown pleco, but they're rather small for a 75 lol look into royals, they MAYwork in your setup, but can be somewhat costly

Freakgecko91 said:
Like I said, there are tons of other, much cooler pleco species! I love my clown pleco, but they're rather small for a 75 lol look into royals, they MAYwork in your setup, but can be somewhat costly

I have always liked the blue phantom pleco but I'm only finding it online for $75 is that a normal rate for them? I want a large pleco but not too large as I want it to live comfortably in a 75 gallon

Yeah, that's a normal price, but those are awesome looking! A Lfs near me breeds plecos and online pics aren't always the best, always nice to see them in person

After some research, a blue phantom pleco would be a great candidate for your aquarium! Max out at 7 inches, so not too big and not too small! I'd say pick a species under or at 10 inches full grown :)
$40 on thatpetplace.com, although I'm unaware if they're reliable to order from or not. I've never ordered online

Freakgecko91 said:
Yeah, that's a normal price, but those are awesome looking! A Lfs near me breeds plecos and online pics aren't always the best, always nice to see them in person

I think I would give up an arm to have a zebra pleco but if I paid that much for a fish my husband would come arrest me himself for having mental instability lol. My limit is $20 for a fish and I think that if I'm going to have one large fish in my tank I want it to be a pleco

Back
Top Bottom