Pleco ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Velksfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Are there any Pleco's that stay smaller?

I have a Bristlenose Pleco and it is probably 3-4 inches longer and is big enough now to knock over some of my rocks and dig/move my sand to create holes
How big to Bristlenose normally get ?

I like Pleco's and want to keep one in my tank but would like to find one that stays smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

6 inches is usually max. I have one that's about 4 inches. Doesn't seem to have grown any for last month so maybe it's full grown.

I'm pretty sure that is the smallest one... Sorry! Rubberlips do stay rather small too..

Okay thanks for the info. Hopefully mine is about done growing.

Leopard frog pleco L134 stay around 4" and they look sweet!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What size can a Bristlenose get ??

Everything I am reading says about 4 inches.

I would say in about full grown then.

What size can a Bristlenose get ??

Bristlenose Plecos usually reach around 4-5".
A mature male will have many bristles along its head, females will have considerably shorter bristles and they will be mainly focused around the mouth.

Leopard frog pleco L134 stay around 4" and they look sweet!!

How much are they typically? I've seen them on my let's website, but there is no cost online. I may look into getting one for my Amazon tank I'm hoping to set up next year after we build a house and move in

May have paid $75 but that would be crazy huh;)

Attachments

• 1407875950290.jpg
    1407875950290.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 91
Yaa, i think I'll pass for now, unless i see them for alot less. It's crazy how expensive plecos get. Of course if you buy a few and start breeding them, you could get rich.

Depending on who you talk to, Otos are often considered mini-plecos :) They stay around 1.5"-2" max and are quite industrious little critters that won't knock your decor over. Make sure you keep them in a group of 3+ though, as they like buddies.

Depending on who you talk to, Otos are often considered mini-plecos :) They stay around 1.5"-2" max and are quite industrious little critters that won't knock your decor over. Make sure you keep them in a group of 3+ though, as they like buddies.

I was going to recommend otos as well.. they're great Lil fish, i see mine way more than the pleco too. Check out zebra otos.

I have 5 Oto's in my tank currently. Love those little guys

And it's not like my Pleco is tearing my tank apart just happens sometimes. But knowing that he is about full grown. I will probably just keep him
Pretty sure it is a male.

Brissle nose get up to 6" .. and are great if you have a planted tank.. but I'm not sure if there are any smaller.. I algae eating fish .. just like a pleco but look like a small fish.. I also have Siamese algae eaters that are doing great getting rid if hair algae

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think I'm going to wait and see if he gets any bigger and then decide if I need to relocate him.

If I would relocate him in the future, would replacing him be a must?? I have 5 Oto's and 3 Tiger Nerite Snails
Just curious???

Plecos are never mandatory. You should only keep them if you want them, not because you think you "have" to have one.

I think most people think they need them to prevent algae growth. I have them only cause I think they are cool looking. If you truly want a fish for algae ottos are a better choice.

Okay,
When I first bought it, I was one of those people that thought you HAD to have one. But now I like the him, but if he does get too big I will have to relocate him. And may not replace him.
And as I said I do have 5 Oto's and 3 Tiger Nerites so my algae should be kept under control.

They will chow down in algae as juvies but as they grow they rely more on meaty foods and scavenging at night. I ended rehoming my 4" bn because she was a bull in a China shop when the algae wafer hit the substrate, just blow through anything in her way and tail whap anything that got close, all while towing a 12" poo strand behind her... quite the sight really;)

Back
Top Bottom