Pleco and Striped Raphael

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spyyro

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 29 gallon tank now and am looking to upgrade to at least a 55 gallon soon. I'm looking into a sand substrate and getting a piece of the Malaysan driftwood for decoration... still undecided whether or not I want to attempt to tackle live plants. I currently have a Striped Raphael in my tank (all artificial) and am really wanting to get a Gold Nugget Pleco... not sure if I'll wait for the larger tank or not as I have been checking weekly at the LFS for the fish. Any problem with mixing these fish? All the fish I have in the 29 gallon tank now get along just fine.

My tank currently has:

2 albino sharks
2 albino cory cats
1 black ghost knife
1 small chinese algae eater
4 little tetras
6 tiger barbs
and my Striped Raphael

Oh... if I do get the new tank... should I set it up first and then transfer the fish after establishing the new one for a week or so?

Gold Nuggets are aggressive to their own species but should be fine with a striped raphael in the 55 gal. I would set the tank up and cycle it and get the fish transferred over after.

I have in my 75 gallon (as far as catfish) large Striped Raphael (full grown, about 7 inches) medium spotted raphael (3-4 inches) med-small comon pleco (7-8 inches) med bristlenose pleco (3 inches) small pictus cat (3 inches), 3 otos (2-4 inches), 1 med red-finned shark (4 inches) I have LOTS of Malaysian driftowod in the tank. Along with some terracotta pots and a black sand substrate. (Tahitian black) I also have 3 or 4 other fish...2 Senagalus Bichirs, 1 african butterfly...1 very lucky neon tetra (he has lived for months..I have gone through literally hundreds of feeder guppies and shrimp and yet this one neon lives..the ones that went in with him ended up as dinner as well)

Basically, all the catfish get along, and they own the tank, the large raphael and the common plec have no problems shoving the bichirs out of the way to get to food. The raphael eats shrimp pellets, same as the bichirs, and the plecs eat algae wafers. the pictus eats flake, I did have a gold nugget, he died due to sickness. I plan on getting another one day, but the LFS doesnt carry them that often.

Back
Top Bottom