Pleco Bored w/Cucumbers and Zucchini

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been alternating between cucumbers and zucchini for my Pleco, but he seems to be getting bored with both of them. He'll still munch on them for a couple of minutes, but when I first started feeding them to him he REALLY went to town! Is there any other veggies he can have? I was thinking maybe butternut squash or something. Would that be ok for him?

- Mandy

Squash is good...so is broccoli stalks :D What I've recently done with the broccoli issue is to save the rosettes, steamed in butter for me as a snack and the stalks go into the tank.

peas!!!!!! get frozen peas, microwave them for about 45 seconds. take the skins off and watch the plec have FUN! loaches love them as do a bundh of my other fish.

Whole leaf spinach is a big hit with my BN plec.
I rubberband it to a rock - I gotta get one of those fancy veggie clips. :D

Lima beans, prepared the same way crazycat prepares peas, is another favorite.

none of my fish ever touch the peas.. and yes I do shell them... maybe i just have weird fish?
I don't even feed cucumber anymore.. always zuchini.. and every once in a while i do yellow squash and my pleco goes crazy... But he always finishes his zuchini!! sometims if he starts getting lazy i wont feed him for a few days and then when i DO feed him he gets excited over the food again.. Not good to have lethargic, overfed fish!

GouramiFanatic, when you first started eating what you mentioned, did he ever eat that before you gave it top them? maybe it was just somehing new and munchy so he had a blast eating it.. he might not be bored with the food at all but maybe full?

I agre with Acer in that your pleco may just be full!! Try cutting down on how often you feed.

I suppose he could be full, but I've read that some people offer veggies three times a week and that it's no problem. I give mine veggies only twice a week (Mon and Thurs). Last week I only offered it once because I kept forgetting to bring it in to work with me.

He's not lethargic from what I've seen. He spends a good portion of the day hiding, but he also comes out quite a bit to search the bottom of the aquarium for left over pieces of food. This is only during the day when I can see him. I have no clue how much time he spends out when it's complete dark in my office (office lights go out @ 5:30pm and do not come back on until 7:30am).

Should I really cut down to just once a week? It was originally recommended a few times weekly.

- Mandy

Romaine lettuce was always a favourite of my bristle nose plecs, and it doesn't mess up the water the way zucchini does.

Fishyfanatic said:
I only pop in a zuc slice once a week. They really go to town on it and eat it bare.

I usually every other day but i put in a small piece and it's always gone within a day!.. LOL.

You may want to try pumpkin, it's a seasonal food for my plecs. Makes for some colorful tank decorations after they eat it. :D

My different plecos like different veggies, my gold nugget pleco only eats when it is dark, won't eat in the daytime. I rarely see that guy. The BN pleco doesn't care for cukes, or zuc, only peas and broccoli, the common pleco will eat anything I put in there and my CAE loves zuc and cukes!

My fish just love zuccini, but I have a question. Is it ok to try bell peppers? Like green bell peppers, or yellow bell peppers, or red? My fish like cucumber too. Bananas get a little too problematic, get too mushy and messy. Are there other vegies not mentioned here that you feed?

Back
Top Bottom