pleco crap machine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Id like to know doesn't consider the purpose of a fish when they get them. So your telling me I shouldn't buy a cory because he keeps gravel clean. Its called an ecosystem. Its not all about look at my pretty fish.
It should be. And like I said originally, that comment wasn't directed towards you. It's a good example of why people shouldn't recommend a fish to take care of an issue.

I don't agree with buying a fish to serve a purpose, for exactly the reason you posted. They don't always do what their reputation is. Cories are awesome little fish, but they should be purchased because you want them. There should never be a reason to purchase cories to clean the tank. If any food reaches the bottom, you're overfeeding... plain and simple. I have cories, but I have them because I like them. Not because I need them to clean up my tank. That's why I do water changes.

thegundog said:
Real glad I found this thread, I was under the impression that Pleco's were great with algae... and I thought the full size Plec's were the big poopers not the smaller ones.

I was considering a Bristlenose for my 29 Gallon, but I'm going to think on that decision a little longer...

Any alternative suggestions for bottom clean up and algae?

I don't know about algae cleaners other than those chinese ones but they are somewhat aggressive. In terms of cleaning leftover food corys are great at that. If you want a food and poop cleaner a somewhat larger species catfish are good. But they are more for larger tanks with oscars or something.

ronnieroach said:
i just rehomed my golden pleco last week but i bought him to clean my algae & within 2 days my tank, rocks, & plants were spottless.

so in my experience they will clean the algae.. everyone else is probably more experienced w/ them; i just thought i'd share my story :)

& i rehomed it because i hate plecos & think they are hideous lol

aere there any algaes that can go in an african tank that arent the regular 'teardrop' shaped plecos??

Not really you just need one with a hard back which are your typical black ones. And even those can sometimes get jacked up.

I don't think anything is a good poop cleaner besides a vacuum.

mfdrookie516 said:
It should be. And like I said originally, that comment wasn't directed towards you. It's a good example of why people shouldn't recommend a fish to take care of an issue.

I don't agree with buying a fish to serve a purpose, for exactly the reason you posted. They don't always do what their reputation is. Cories are awesome little fish, but they should be purchased because you want them. There should never be a reason to purchase cories to clean the tank. If any food reaches the bottom, you're overfeeding... plain and simple. I have cories, but I have them because I like them. Not because I need them to clean up my tank. That's why I do water changes.

Look im not trying to argue with anyone but what your saying just makes mo sense. I like algae eaters and I like corys. You assumed I didn't which is what was your bad. And, 99% of the world buy algae eaters just for that reason! To clean algae. That's also why they are recommended for warm water ponds. And if your telling me not one piece of food hits your gravel your a flat out lier. Its not like I have minds of extra food at the bottom. Stop assuming everything if you don't want someone to get the wrong idea. I have an absolutely glossy clean tank. I have a canister filter just for bio alone. I know what im doing. So go play with your silly mud fish and ill watch my beautiful rainbows.

Look im not trying to argue with anyone but what your saying just makes mo sense. I like algae eaters and I like corys. You assumed I didn't which is what was your bad. And, 99% of the world buy algae eaters just for that reason! To clean algae. That's also why they are recommended for warm water ponds. And if your telling me not one piece of food hits your gravel your a flat out lier. Its not like I have minds of extra food at the bottom. Stop assuming everything if you don't want someone to get the wrong idea. I have an absolutely glossy clean tank. I have a canister filter just for bio alone. I know what im doing. So go play with your silly mud fish and ill watch my beautiful rainbows.
I never assumed anything. As I have said TWICE now, the comment was NOT about you.

Good luck with your fish. You seem to know everything there is to know, we're clearly of no assistance to you.

I think you may have missed the point. If I understood him correctly, he was more so trying to say like let this be an advisory for those planning on adding a pleco (or something else) to fix a problem..not personally saying to you that's what you get for adding a pleco to fix a problem. No one assumed you bought your cories to clean your tank. I really think you took everything said way too personal and spoke too harshly. JMO.

I think you may have missed the point. If I understood him correctly, he was more so trying to say like let this be an advisory for those planning on adding a pleco (or something else) to fix a problem..not personally saying to you that's what you get for adding a pleco to fix a problem. No one assumed you bought your cories to clean your tank. I really think you took everything said way too personal and spoke too harshly. JMO.

Siva has nailed it on the head. Let's keep personal out of the thread or I will lock it. None of the comments in this thread were directed at any one person and I have read the thread through. The statements made were a general advisory for those that might not have thought it through before.

Zagz said:
Siva has nailed it on the head. Let's keep personal out of the thread or I will lock it. None of the comments in this thread were directed at any one person and I have read the thread through. The statements made were a general advisory for those that might not have thought it through before.

My bad. No worries. Maybe took things a little to personal. We can agree to disagree. :) anyway I don't know everything and don't mind your opinions in the future.

Back
Top Bottom