Pleco Dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bpohl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok here is the situation. I have a 55g tank that has been set up for over a year. Originaly I have a had a Common Pleco for two years and recently he some how hurt himself in the tank and died. He had a scrap on the top of his head all the way to his upper fin. We purchased another Common Pleco that was about 3 inches long and also purchased some Green Tiger barbs at the same time. After about a week in half the Pleco died, Tiger barbs still alive. Went and purchase another Pleco this one larger about 5 - 6 inches long. After a week he had died. I have done a water check and see not issues with any levels. I have not put salt or added a salt to my tank in over a year, just when I first set it up over a year ago. I als drop in agea wafers for suplaments. I have two other tanks a 40g and 10g. The 40g has two Plecos in it and had no issue introducing eitehr one. Need some help on this? Only thing is the second Pleco did look kinda old??

Well you most likely have water quality issues. If you test water quality with test strips, chances are they are inaccurate. There are a number of issues going on here. Common plecos are massive waste producers and need large tanks so they can grow. They often reach 18-20 inches. So, honestly you don't have an appropriate tank for these guys, unless you planned to upgrade to at least a 75 gallon tank is a bare minimum for just one pleco. But the first thing you need to do is get an API liquid Freshwater Master Test kit, so you can get an accurate idea of your water quality. What is your water change schedule (how much/how often)? We need a little more info. Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH?

Nitrite level is 0, nitrate levle is 5-below, PH level is 8+, Amonia Level was at 1. This has really had me confused. There could be a possibly problem with the water. But why are the new tiger barbs doing fine?? Most plecos are pretty hardy fish? Water temp 75

Ok just retested my water to make sure i was accurate this morning. Which i was not cause I did not leave the test strip our long enough. Levels are. Nitrite level - 0, Nitrates - 25 ppm, PH -7.0, Alkanity 40ppm, Hardness 200ppm. This tank is over a year old. I have 5 mollies- which breed like rabbits have taken over 80 babies to the pet store over the last year, 2 - Groumies, 3 -Cherr barbs, 1 Gold Barb, 1 Redtail shark, 3 shrimp. All these fish are over a year old or older. And 5 plants that are doing good

Ok just retested my water to make sure i was accurate this morning. Which i was not cause I did not leave the test strip our long enough. Levels are. Nitrite level - 0, Nitrates - 25 ppm, PH -7.0, Alkanity 40ppm, Hardness 200ppm. This tank is over a year old. I have 5 mollies- which breed like rabbits have taken over 80 babies to the pet store over the last year, 2 - Groumies, 3 -Cherr barbs, 1 Gold Barb, 1 Redtail shark, 3 shrimp. All these fish are over a year old or older. And 5 plants that are doing good

Test strips are notoriously inaccurate. If your plecos are dying, there is definitely something wrong. They are generally very hardy, long lived fish. What is your water change schedule?

Yes I agree something is wrong just not sure what?? I did a comparison test on my two other tanks and all three tanks have similar levels. My sons 40g tank has two plecos in it and no issues. I do a water change every 30-40 days on all my tanks. No other fish show signs of any issues ??

Well it's a good idea to do a lot more water changes. Like 50% every week. You have to change out water because everything that goes in the tank, stays there until you take it out. Please read those articles. And this one too.
Old Tank Syndrome

Agreed. You need the test kit already mentioned and not use strips. Also agree that you aren't doing nearly enough water changes. When you do change the water are you using Prime or some other dechlorinator/conditioner? That is essential also.

Yes I am using a dechlorinate and additives to help the water. I believe if their was a big issue with water here my other two tanks would be suffering too. I have one tank that I have had for three years this tank is 22 months old and running my 40g tank is 18 months old. It is a chiclid tank. And not had any issues.

Yes I am using a dechlorinate and additives to help the water. I believe if their was a big issue with water here my other two tanks would be suffering too. I have one tank that I have had for three years this tank is 22 months old and running my 40g tank is 18 months old. It is a chiclid tank. And not had any issues.

The article I gave a link to on "old tank syndrome" explains why some fish survive a while in those conditions and newly introduced ones get shocked. If you don't want help with the situation, it's up to you.

I appreciate the help and yes I did read it and that could be a possibility. When I change water in the tanks I I fill up 10 one gallon containers of water to add to the tanks upon the water level gets low. So I am doing pretty much what the articles says except weekly water changes. I had to separate store do water test and they both said the water was good and should not have issues. So guess we will see with this new fish.

I appreciate the help and yes I did read it and that could be a possibility. When I change water in the tanks I I fill up 10 one gallon containers of water to add to the tanks upon the water level gets low. So I am doing pretty much what the articles says except weekly water changes. I had to separate store do water test and they both said the water was good and should not have issues. So guess we will see with this new fish.

So you remove wastes from the tank by using a siphon and vacuum the gravel? Or are you saying you only replace what evaporates? I'm not trying to be mean. But you posted a question about fish repeatedly dying. The answer may not be what you want to hear. We're just trying to help you and your fish. Not doing weekly water changes where the waste material is removed,is a disaster waiting to happen, and essentially the fish are living in their own toilet.

I use a siphon deal to suck up the extra debri. Also will try and help it break loose and let the filter catch as much about 30 minutes before I change it. Just one fish is dying :). I have added fish month and they are still fine just this one issue ??? Thank u just frustrating ;)

Should say just one type. Two plecos. I have added about 4 fish not including the tiger barbs over the last two months.

Back
Top Bottom