Pleco feed...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buckfins

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have two clowns and a rubber lip...all juveniles...in a newly established 55g. I have heard about all kinds of veggies to feed them. I need some input on the best ones to give and best way to prepare them. Any intelligent input would be great!

I have a bulldog and bristle mine love cucumber, spinach and kale. I blanch them which is put them in boiling water for a minute and then i drop mine into a cup of cold water till cool. Some people put the veg into a microwave but I do mine in a pan on the stove. And I just remembered lol they like peas but take the outer shell off :)

I feed mine blanced zucchini and cooked, deshelled peas. On occassion I will treat them with an algae tablet.

I feed zucchini, cucumber and de shelled peas. I buy a couple zucchini and cucumber at a time, slice them into 1/4 inch slices and freeze them in a ziplock bag, then when I feed the veggies I just take a slice or two out of the freezer and put them in a plastic cup with a little tank water and microwave them for about a minute or as long as it takes to defrost and cook them a little. I use a solo cup that I keep in my aquarium stand for tank use only. Then I let them cool down completely and drop them in the tank. Some people weigh them down or put them on a veggie clip, but my plecos seem to enjoy chasing them around the tank until they sink. When I feed peas, I use frozen peas and I microwave them in the same way, then take the shells off when they have cooled down and I crush them into bite size pieces.

I have a lot of "piggy" tankmates. How would I keep them from dining on this food? Feed after lights go out and the other fish calm down for the night?

Yellow Squash - boil water, cut up squash so it will fit on a clip, put in water for 3 minutes, removed from water and put in cold water to stop the cooking. Feed the Pleco at night for best results, they are rather shy. Freeze unused portion and thaw pieces when needed. I feed them squash once a week and Algae pellets during the week. My Pleco (Thor) is 2 years old and about 9 inches.

Well thanks for all the advice guys and gals. Much appreciated! I just started collecting and raising plecos a few months ago and I really want to see them thrive. I have never failed to raise any kind of fish so I want these guys to live a good long and well fed life :).

Back
Top Bottom