Pleco ID?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krissy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all!

I bought a tank off a lady approx mid Feb and was told there was a Pleco in the tank but seems to hide in the ship he has! I have only seen his fins as he's always in his ship....BUT tonight I managed to get a glimpse of him! Wasn't intentional but suddenly spotted something odd with a spiky head on the floor of the tank. I switched the light on and course scared him and off he went to his ship again!

I couldn't get a pic as he obviously likes to hide and didn't like the light on. He really is bizarre! Never seen one like him before. He's approx 5 inches long and has loads of spikes coming out of his head. The spikes are approx 1-2cms long!!

Does anyone have any idea what it is?! I'm sorry I can't provide a photo but this is the first time in around 8 weeks that I've actually seen him!! He didn't even come out of the ship when he was transported!!

Would love any suggestions!

Many thanks,

Krissy

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Most likely a Bristlenose or Bushynose pleco. Look either of those up.

P.S. - both of those are the same thing, just different names for it.

Ah ok! Bushynose looks more so like it! Strange looking thing!! Is it normal for it to be hiding quite so much?!

Thanks for the quick response!

Ah ok! Bushynose looks more so like it! Strange looking thing!! Is it normal for it to be hiding quite so much?!

Thanks for the quick response!

Yes, I have a bristlenose (or bushynose :)) in my tank and I rarely see him. They tend to be pretty reclusive coming out mainly at night. Once he gets more acclimated to his surroundings he may venture out more during the day.

These plecos are the easiest to determine the sex of as well. The males will have the full "rack" of bristles coming out of his nose, whereas the female will have very little, if any.

Oh great! Thank you so much for your info!

I'm guessing I have a male then! He looked quite alien like!! Lots of spiky bits!! Never seen one like it before so thank you for clearing that mystery up for me!

Back
Top Bottom