Pleco id

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garganoth

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,
I got this pleco when I first started keeping fish. I was just curious is he a common pleco?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1397543184745.jpg
    1397543184745.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 168
I know : ) I'm looking at 180+ plus right now.

I hope so! though he's not eating the algae wafers or veggies I'm putting in. he's growing and active with good color though...hope he's healthy

I was curious about the sailfin...His coloring is really unique from what I've seen. Either way he's a lot of fun.

Well so much for feeling special... : )

Not exactly. Sailfins have more rays in their dorsal fin.

From Planet Catfish
"Pterygoplichthys can be identified by the number of rays in the dorsal fin. More than 10 indicates that it's a Pterygoplichthys. Most other plecos have 8 or fewer rays (in particular the larger Hypostomus species that are most likely to be confused with Pterygoplichthys). "

Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps is The Sailfin Pleco.

Several lookalike large Hypostomus sp are called "Common Pleco".

Gibbiceps are distinctive once you know what to look for. Notice the tail is deeply scalloped and has top and bottom points.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where do you put them in the tank? My ciclid and oscar keep tearing it up lol

I keep this guy with my cichlids...though if Satan took a fish form he would be my chocolate pleco...even my 9 inch JD runs from him...

Attachments

• 1397692575301.jpg
    1397692575301.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 66
Where do you put them in the tank? My ciclid and oscar keep tearing it up lol

I just drop it into the front of the tank so I can watch ,Fortunately he only shares with peaceful fish ... And he's that big (mick) they all leave it alone..
For mick I put half a chunk in and Henry is in another tanks he's so tiny he gets a slice ..
A great little investment is a screwcumber .. eBay or amazon sell them . I have 2 but both are generally in with mick he loves to munch ;)

Back
Top Bottom