Pleco id

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sammbaxter

Aquarium Advice Regular
Could anyone tell me what species of pleco I own? I think when I bought it it just said common pleco, but I don't remember. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412455790.324889.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412455961.824078.jpg

They're the same pleco ha, but thanks for your help. I was thinking of adding another pleco to my tank, do you suggest a certain species?

Since there are 1000's of species it is a bit tough to make a specific recommendation.

How big is the tank, what else is in it? Do you live in a place where you have access to uncommon fish or are more commonly available species needed? Lastly, why do you want another pleco?

I have a 55 gallon african cichlid tank. 10 Peacocks and haps, and 1 five inch pleco. I do a water change twice a week and I really enjoy plecos, so that's why I was wanting another one. Do you suggest against it? I'm planning to upgrade my tank in the spring. I want at least a 120 gallon ?

Could be a L001

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

In a 120, sure go for another bigger Plec..
I've got the same sized African tank and I'm keeping a single BN.

In such a small space I'd try to avoid anything over 6-7in, let alone more than one.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Keep in mind that your common pleco could grow to be almost a foot in length. That's a big fish, and a HUGE bio load.

There's a few species of smaller plecos that you could look into that are cool as well. Rubber lip and bristle nose come to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do you guys know how fast they grow? Cause I've had this guy for almost a year and he's grown maybe an inch and a half. And I have an outdoor pond that, if they do grow larger, they can be transferred to.

Looking closer (clicked on pics) I'd have to say rhino pleco, Pterygoplichthys scrophus. The flaps on the nostrils are distinct to that species. Better than a common or sailfin Gibbiceps for size, they max out around 10".

Back
Top Bottom