Pleco id

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It also helps that the smaller species are better looking.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh definitely. The two I tried to buy last night were 4 inches max and so so beautiful. I didn't catch the L number but they were some kind of Colombians.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So I suggested rehoming the 2 commons. She keeps asking about putting them in this tank or that and I tried to explain that she would need 2 more 55g tanks at the least of she's going to keep them. Not sure she understood but we'll see.

Somewhere, I have a pic of an Adonis pleco that my uncle had in his pond in Florida. At 15 years old that sucker was about 40 inches.

2 more 55 gallon tanks? More like 2 more 125 tanks.

I told her at the least she would start with 2 more 55g. If I say anything bigger she won't be able to picture the size but because I have 55g she knows how big those are. She has problems and I don't know if it's early onset Alzheimer or dementia or what.

Google the size of a 125 and then use some scotch tape to show her how big it is easy cheap solution to her not being able to picture it.
I can't imagine what a 55 gallon looks like, I am REALLY bad at guesstimating how big something.

Well if she was like me, she would be happy about a big tank.

And i have to disagree about larger Plecos always being ugly. Royals are quite beautiful in my opinion. Very.... Royal?

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

I agree with lazor. If I had the tank for one, that would be one of the fish I HAD to get.

Yeah, if i had a 200+ i would tryvto raise a group of CA Cichlids of the same species in it and see if they can live their while life together, and a Royal Pleco would have to be in there. And a big school of Pictus.

Just saying, they arent ALL ugly :)

But Commons? Ehhhh....

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

Some one please shoot me now! I was looking in my mother's tanks in her room and I spotted yet another pleco. Bit of a bacterial bloom in her 20g sp I couldn't get a good enough look to see of its the common or a brown bn female.

Some one please shoot me now! I was looking in my mother's tanks in her room and I spotted yet another pleco. Bit of a bacterial bloom in her 20g sp I couldn't get a good enough look to see of its the common or a brown bn female.

Oh boy lol

She had no idea it was there. This is what happens when you get older and your mind goes. First it's cats and then next thing you know it's throwing plecos at people while speaking jibberish.

Crazy pleco lady .. hahahaha... bag o plecos in tote..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm not sure of its official name but back where I grew up as a child (Guyana) we called it smoke hassar

Sent from iPad using tapatalk

I'm not sure of its official name but back where I grew up as a child (Guyana) we called it smoke hassar

You're thinking of a different catfish, a hoplosternum species called the hassa.
Edit: It is hoplosternum litterale.

Last edited:
You're thinking of a different catfish, a hoplosternum species called the hassa.
Edit: It is hoplosternum litterale.

No, this one is less "scaly" then the regular hassa and doesn't have the armour. I have the same ones in my current fish tank

Back
Top Bottom