pleco ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elle2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am trying to find some info t on a pleco that I saw at the LFS the other day. I am sure that they called it either a clown pleco or a butterfly pleco, but when I look either of those up they look nothing like the fish I saw.

I will try to take a picture next time but just in case someone knows exactly what I am talking about.... these were quite small 1-2 inches, and really looked like no other pleco I have seen. It was almost as though their whole bodies were suctioned to the glass.. they had these wide rounded flaps that came out on their sides and were suctioned to the glass.

Not the best description... sorry. Any ideas?

The Hillstream Loach (Hillstream loach for short) is sometimes labeled as a Butterfly Pleco. There is also an actual Pleco with that name but I have seen several lfs label them incorretly.

Hi- both those fish look very similar to the ones I saw! The ones I saw are much smaller, less colourful, and flatter overall, but the 'wings' at the side are same.

Do you think that means the ones I saw aren't really plecos?

If it is smaller it will be flatter. The coloration is usually less at the lfs compared to a home aquarium. Does the body structure look simliar?

If this is what you saw, then no it's not a pleco.

I've seen these in 2 different stores with wrong names:

stingray pleco
and
devil suckerfish

I bought some cuz they were cheap ... they are fun to watch, although my rubbernose at times would chase them away from his immediate location

So I went in today (didn't plan on it so I didn't have the camera) and they were calling these fish Chinese Butterfly Plecos. When I look these up I find either the pictures you have linked to or something very similar. Thanks guys! I think I will start a new post about them to see what experience people have with them. Do you have any?

I had some for a while. Mine were ok with my 2 AC70/300 filters and I keep my water around 78 deg. They are fine, but when i added my cichlids ... they died ... guess is they wouldn't leave them alone.

They are neat little fish, which hung around on my glass most of the time. I think I still have some pics of them in my gallery.

jibboo said:
I had some for a while. Mine were ok with my 2 AC70/300 filters and I keep my water around 78 deg. They are fine, but when i added my cichlids ... they died ... guess is they wouldn't leave them alone.

They are neat little fish, which hung around on my glass most of the time. I think I still have some pics of them in my gallery.

What did you feed them? Did you find they were good algae eaters?

Back
Top Bottom