Pleco ID (sorry I couldn't find a fw id forum)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Berserkr

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been told this is a Spotted High Fin, but as I was looking at plecos online today, I couldn't find one by that name or one that looked quite like him. Sorry for the poor quality, it seems my camera doesn't have a macro setting, or at least I can't find it.

Attachments

• pleco1_198.jpg
    pleco1_198.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 54
  • pleco2_188.jpg
    pleco2_188.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 488
I agree, looks like a Gib. They come in a lot of different variations in regards to color but yours looks dead on.

I also agree that it looks like a Sailfin. Appears to be similar in color to my pleco 'Count' as well. :)

pleco41906.jpg

JChillin, that is an amazing pleco! Thanks guys, just wanted to double check, and show him off a bit. He's cleaned up the tank so well I have to supplement with wafers. He's getting quite viscious towards them and is growing quite rapidly! Those beautiful pics do look almost just like him! Is it common for them to change color? Not like a chameleon, but he seems to have lightened in shade a bit around his 'shoulders'. Doesn't seem like anything is wrong, I just noticed it and wondered.

Yes, they will pale out sometimes (get lighter in blotches, sometimes entirely)

Mine is almost black with thin patterns, and he's 14.5" (just measured) from head to tip of the tail. But he's also 6 years old.

that's HUGE! Mine's color change isn't mood related, it seems permanent. Man, he's growing fast too, I really need to start the 75 gal cycling...not that he'll suddenly blow up, he's only about 2 inches right now. Although I'm hoping my angel gets bigger, he hasn't grown noticeably, and my RTBS is already done I think, at approx 4 inches.

Back
Top Bottom