Pleco Identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cynic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

Can anyone please shed any light as to what form of Pleco this is? Before I make plans as to what to do with it I'd like confirmation as to what it actually is...

scaled.php

scaled.php

Cheers in advance (y)

toddnbecka said:
No, it's a juvie Gibbieps aka sailfin, and will grow nearly as big as a common pleco. Should be kept in a 180 gallon tank or larger to keep it from becoming stunted.

Your talking about the same pleco they call it both names that's why I hate common names. Here's one same fish listed under both names.

image-4014173027.jpg

A Pterygoplicthys gibbiceps is L-83 not the same fish as L-114; the common name of that one is the leopard cactus pleco. Gibbiceps juvies don't have the red tails, and the adults grow to about twice the size of the L-114.

Last edited:
I have two ichthyology degrees and have been on three collection trip in the amazon during college so I'm well aware of pleco species I really don't know your credentials but I guarantee your way off on this one. These two pleco's look identical when young the exporters in Manaus get them mixed up all the time because of their similarity and the red tail isn't present till they reach maturity. Let's just disagree to agree its all about helping the person who's question it is.

To me, the pleco in question is an l83. Looks just like mine...

Thanks to everyone who replied :thanks:
So it's either a L114 or a L86? I must admit I believe it looks more like the L86 but I think it has a lighter outline of it's tail fin consistent with the L114.

I'll try to get a better picture with the tail & sail fins up.

If it is a L86 it just confirms my belief I bought another fish that will grow to big back in the dark days of trusting the LFS :hide:

How big is it now, and much did you pay for the pleco? L-114's aren't common like gibbiceps, and small (~2") juvies go for $40-50 on aquabid. I would hate to see the price for one in an lfs.

How big is it now, and much did you pay for the pleco? L-114's aren't common like gibbiceps, and small (~2") juvies go for $40-50 on aquabid. I would hate to see the price for one in an lfs.

It would be maybe 12cm at a guess.

I paid $60 down from $120...

toddnbecka said:
A picture is worth 1000 words...
Juvie L-114's clearly do have bright red tails with elongated rays when young, the red diminishes as they grow:
Pseudacanthicus cf. leopardus • Loricariidae • Cat-eLog • PlanetCatfish • PlanetCatfish.com
Here's a picture of a juvie L-83 (2nd row down, 3rd from left) that looks almost identical to the one posted above:
Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps • Loricariidae • Cat-eLog • PlanetCatfish • PlanetCatfish.com

Whatever helps you sleep better at night I guess apparently you have a desire to be right. But sadly in the 2nd link you provided the juvenile has no red in it's tale so you called your own bluff. But hey I'm not gonna argue apparently your ten minute google search holds more knowledge than going to college getting a degree in ichthyology, catching them in the amazon and breeding them. Wish I woulda known that sooner I coulda saved myself tons of money and became a google ichthyologist too.

Time will tell, if it's a gibbiceps it will grow another 12" given proper care. The price does indicate a less common species, gibbiceps are usually about 1/2 that price or less at the lfs for smaller ones. Occasionally much larger ones turn up that have outgrown someone's tank.

Last edited:
Discusapisto said:
But sadly in the 2nd link you provided the juvenile has no red in it's tale so you called your own bluff..

I no I shouldn't get involved But it's an l83 like he said and it doesn't have the red which is why it's not their just like he said... The first link had the red the second did not..

Back
Top Bottom