Pleco in a Rubbermade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RogerMcAllen

Aquarium Advice Addict
The two plecos, 6-8", in my pond will not live the winter so I need a way to house them inside. I had the idea of buying a 30-50 gal or so rubermade container, placing the pump/filter from my small pond in it along with my non-hardy plants for the winter. I plan on keeping this tub well lit, and will even seed it with algae from my pond. Are there any critical problems with this idea?

As a side note, plan on getting a long low containter vs one of the really tall ones

hmm

i should get one of those too

since I reclaimed my 30g tank that used to house my folks fish, they'll be needing an indoor home in a few months

I haven't seen my pleco since I released it into their pond, but he was already too big to go into either my 29 or 30, and the pet store wouldn't take him

the pond has so much green water that you rarely see the fish - but that's a story i'd rather not get into - lets just say the folks aren't the best at keeping an ideal setup.

Sounds exactly like my pond. The idea should work because I can't see the darn thing anyway, and I don't really care how the tub looks as long as the pleco lives happlily with my non-hardies.

When I redid my living room floors I had to tear down my 55gal. As a substitute, I used a 40 gal container to put them in. They were in there for about 3 weeks! I just placed my pump over the side and even my heater in there. It worked fine and not one fish died!

Back
Top Bottom