Pleco Info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
I originally thought Plecos were ugly fish, but I am really starting like some of them with the contrasting colors. Is there a site, where I can find information on the different types? I'm looking for one that stays smaller with the contrasting color patterns. I know these things can get expensive, so I want to weight my options.

There are A LOT of them to look at for choices. Does anyone have recommendations? I have a 55-gallon tank, but I'd like the Pleco to remain relatively small. I really like contrasting color patterns. I saw a picture of a Gold Nugget Pleco, and I liked the way the patterns were very clear, not blurred at all. It doesn't have to be spots. It could be stripes as well. Any suggestions?

You can search on planetcatfish by size...if you narrow down to the smaller ones it will minimize the number to go through. I like the Queen Arabesque myself but they are supposed to hide a lot. Clowns are also nice. It seems a lot of the colored smaller ones are carnivorous...just keep that in mind. If you look one up you can then go down to size and it will give you the options of finding similar sized species (there's probably an easier way but I don't know it). HTH.

Gold nuggets are considered difficult to keep; I'd start with something else. The L260s (queen arabesque) are usually invisible, at least during the day.

If it were me, I'd just sort by size and then flip through and look for the patterns you like, then check feeding requirements.

Keep in mind that the sizes quoted there are from the tip of the snout to the vent, and don't include the tail, so the overall length of the fish will be larger than the max size there.

If you are looking for small pleco's that are always on the job, I would suggest bristenoses (ancistrus sp). I have several of them in my 75g, none over 5" and they take no vacation, sick or personal days.

I like the look of clown plecos, but they're huge hiders as well. The bristlenose is a good suggestion, they have a great rep.

One of my favorites for pattern is the vampire pleco, but I've never owned one (just slightly too expensive).

I like the Zebra Pleco patterns I've seen. Tiger Plecos too. I haven't looked much further into it than that. Have you guys ever seen a type of fish and wanted to tear down your tank and start all over just so you can house those fish? That's how I'm feeling about Plecos right now. I won't though...I think.

theotheragentm said:
I like the Zebra Pleco patterns I've seen. Tiger Plecos too. I haven't looked much further into it than that. Have you guys ever seen a type of fish and wanted to tear down your tank and start all over just so you can house those fish? That's how I'm feeling about Plecos right now. I won't though...I think.

true zebra pleco's will cost you about 2 weeks salary

You overestimate me. With my salary, you're probably talking five weeks. That's the other thing I haven't really looked into is pricing. I don't want to go poor getting a fish. The hunt continues.

theotheragentm said:
There are A LOT of them to look at for choices. Does anyone have recommendations? I have a 55-gallon tank, but I'd like the Pleco to remain relatively small. I really like contrasting color patterns. I saw a picture of a Gold Nugget Pleco, and I liked the way the patterns were very clear, not blurred at all. It doesn't have to be spots. It could be stripes as well. Any suggestions?

Be carefull, some type of Plecos can be expensive. The Gold Nugget is one such type. I saw a baby one here at petsmart for $50. I didn't see you mention your tank size either. That is very important for us to suggest a pleco.

I have a 55-gallon. I don't like large fish, but it seems that the more expensive fish are the smaller ones. I'm still toying with the idea of a Pleco but it's becoming less of a reality for me as I look at patterns and colors I like with sizes and prices.

theotheragentm said:
I have a 55-gallon. I don't like large fish, but it seems that the more expensive fish are the smaller ones. I'm still toying with the idea of a Pleco but it's becoming less of a reality for me as I look at patterns and colors I like with sizes and prices.

Maybe you want to look at ABN plecos? (Albino BristleNose) I just picked up 8 of them on aquabid for 30 bucks shipped to my door. They don't really have a pattern but are busy little guys that don't get too big and aren't your everyday brown color.

I have a Candy Stripe Pleco in our 29 gal tank. Cute as can be and was decent priced. I think it was $8 or $9.

Back
Top Bottom