pleco question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lynmccoy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When we started with our guppies last year, we were advised to buy an algae eater,so we bought the pleco that the store owner showed us for $4.99. He was about 2 inches long and we named him/her(?) Hoover after the vaccum cleaner. He is afraid of everything and immediately flips up his sail fin on top and side fins and runs to hide if a guppy comes toward him. He is green and black spotted and I cannot find one like him online to know what kind he is. He is 10 inches long now and 2 inches wide and still scared of the guppies. The closest one I could find is a pleco that will grow to 2 feet long. It's no problem if he does,he'll come and rub up against my hand when I working on the tank,I just want to make sure I feed him enough.Oh yea, the tip of his tail has side fins and a top fin too. I don't have a digital camera to scan a picture of him.

he may just be a shy pleco but he sounds like a common pleco and can infact grow up to 24in long hopefully you have a tank big enough to accomidate the bugger because i personaly find em cute. but beware they have a large bioload when there older

My friends and family go over to our tank more to see Hoover first then they look at the guppies. The funniest part is that he will have his eyes open til someone looks at him then he close his eyes as though he's afraid to look back. Right now we have a 55 gallon tank,a 10 gallon nursery, and if he needs it we'll get him a bigger home.

Hoover was in a 10 gallon tank for a year. Now he's in a 55 gallon tank.My grandchildren think it's funny the way he is so scared of our tiny little guppies.

lynmccoy said:
My friends and family go over to our tank more to see Hoover first then they look at the guppies. The funniest part is that he will have his eyes open til someone looks at him then he close his eyes as though he's afraid to look back. Right now we have a 55 gallon tank,a 10 gallon nursery, and if he needs it we'll get him a bigger home.

hes gonna need a bigger home im not sure how big but i thing 75g i may very well be wrong

Do you have any idea about how long Hoover may live? We want to keep him around as long as we can. Another pleco might not be as funny as him.

He'll live for up to ten years, but he won't live near as long unless you can get him into a 125 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom