Pleco question ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OceanMist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I understand it is normal for some pleco's to come to the surface for air, however my 15" Sailfin has never done this before (I must have owned him for a couple of months now) and in the last couple of days he seems to be coming up for air very often (i would guess around every 20 mins), is this normal or should I keep an eye on him?

I have never seen one of our plecos go to the surface for air before. Have you added an airstone? Is the tank temp normal?

temp is no different, I have not added an airstone but I can't see how that would affect my Pleco, the tank is planted so that should help add oxygen to the water. he also seems to be breathing quite heavily/quickly compared to the 3" Pleco in my 10gallon tank, the Oscar in the same tank as him does not seem to be having any trouble breathing so i'm not sure what is wrong with him.

Increased respiration is one of the signs that a fish is under stress. It might be several things, or it might be nothing. If it were my fish, I'd do an immediate pwc. I would also look to increase the water movement in the aquarium.

I've had my 13" pleco since he was about 2"...give or take, 10 years. Mine goes through phases where he will gulp alot and then go long months without doing it. Considering I can't seem to STOP him from eating and growing and pooping, I guess it's not much to worry about in my case...
FWIW,
I keep the pH between 6.8 and 7.1 and the temps are always stable at 76*F. Lightly planted 55 gal, no airation or surface agitation, med. light. He is provided with a dark, safe cave made of natural stone.

Godzilla used to hang off the light cover inside the tank, with about half his body underwater, to get to the algae on the cover. Beyond that, I'm not sure why they 'gulp'....

I think I'll just keep an eye on him for a while, he seems okay, its just strange - he seems to release bubbles from his gills and then goes up and gulps for air, Maybe he'll just go through these phrases.

My 12" common pleco will dart to the top... im not sure how often but i know i saw him do it once today... they probably do it more often than we think or see.

If he's doing it every 20 min you may want to do a water change but otherwise its normal.

Mine was doing it, it usually means low O2 in the water.. try aggitating the surface or adding a bubble strip. Pleco's (most) have the ability to breath atmosphere. (they will be alive as long as they are wet) the exception being rubberlipped breeds.

Back
Top Bottom