Pleco vs. oto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not to get off topic, but to add to the shipping thing, I ordered a betta from a local pet store and when I came in to check it out they had just arrived so I got to witness them all being taken out of the shipping box...the were in teeny tiny little bags with literally maybe 1/4 of a cup of water. And only 4 of the 6 were still alive, btw.

If I may pose another question to you all...

My co-worker who used to have a saltwater reef decided to bring in some coral from his old tank and suggested I add it to mine... Now the coral he gave me hasn't been in any water for a long time so it's dry but for some reason I don't see coral being of any use to a FW tank...

Should I politely decline his offer or is there a FW benefit that I don't know of with adding coral??

HopefulHobbiest said:
Knowing all this shipping nightmare stuff makes me happy to know that the fish I have in my tank have been spared the unneeded torture :)

It's not torture, and how do you think your fish made it to the pet store initially?

And no, you don't want to add coral unless you are trying to buffer the water.

sorry, maybe i was a little overzealous in my comment about the torture:angel:.

can i ask what you mean by buffering the water?

Edit- Also, does anyone know if the Gold Nugget Pleco eats/chews driftwood as part of its diet?

Coral increases the general hardness of soft water as it gradually dissolves, that's the reason why some use crushed coral or aragonite if their water is too soft.

If its fake coral it wouldn't matter in that regard but either way it'd look a bit out of place in a relatively natural fw system.

I guess I just didn't like the wording. I'm funny that way. And since I have always had fish shipped overnight I'm not used to worrying about fish coming in DOA. Yes, its good that people state their policy right up front the wording just hit me wrong.

Yep, a few times. Cheap shipping for overnight. Some of their prices are way high compared to others, but if you have any DOA's or lose a fish within 14 days you just email them (save the fish incase they would want pic's) and they give you a credit or refund. Got my Rio-Nigro Pleco from them.

New questions

i have another pleco question and i figured i'd just reuse this thread instead of making an entirely new one...

i currently have a 55G but soon i'll be buying a 125g or 150g but that will be kept in the garage until i need it. my question is...

is there a pleco that will STAY under 5-6 inches that i can use for my 55g? i've heard people say the BN Pleco or the GN Pleco but i've also read on a few sites these two pleco "can" reach 11" or 12"...

any thoughts or suggestions?

BN pleco only in rare cases will reach 11" it's like a man reaching 7 feet it can happen but probably not

HopefulHobbiest said:
ok well thats a relief to hear... what can you tell me about the Gold Nugget Pleco?

My dads is 7" and has been for 6 years I think you need wood though and it also needs algae wafers or something else to eat.

thats good to hear as well :). i have some algae wafers and some driftwood already in the tank so i think i should be good to go. i just wanted to make sure i wasn't gonna end up with a monster BN pleco or GN pleco... whichever i decide to get

Ya they don't get big GN is my fave! But BN is an algae boss

Back
Top Bottom