Pleco with camoflage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitty2234

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi fish friends,

If I succeeded, I attached a very bad picture of one of my Plecos.

The most important thing about him is that I have seen this pleco turn on its camouflage. It try's to look like a rock. I will try to get a few more pictures to post about him, later on. Within 3 flashes:fish2: of the camera, he turned from a handsome fish into an ugly fish. He made several large white area (as if he had his scales removed). At first, I had thought that he was being picked on and I then moved him to a very safe tank.

He changed - right in front of my eyes. I was shocked! Has anyone else every heard of a pleco that can apply camouflage?

kitty2234

My bristle nose changes. Sometimes he is the normal brown spotty colour and then 10 minutes later he has patches of ligter and darker colours. Then back to normal.

Also, can't see a photo.

I have a sail fin he does the same, more so now I have sand , when he comes out for his breakfast he's very pale and changes colour as he's eating his shrimp wafer ;) very cool ...

Hi Fish Friends,

I noticed that after I tried to attach the photo, that the photo did not upload with the words. I do not think that it was a good photo anyways. I will try to get more pictures of him (I think it is a him). I know that I paid extra money for him. I am thinking that I might try to bring him back to the store, for identification.

I was at a tropical fish auction, recently; and they could not think of any Plecos that use camouflage.

kitty2234

Mine is a bristlenose. In this photo you can (hopefully) vaguely see the lighter patches. It's usually only at night she has this.

ForumRunner_20131030_200410.jpg

several things cause this. 2 of which are stress and night time hiding habits. the camera flash prob startles him and scares him, which causes his color to change. as for it happening at night, its fairly common for fish to alter their coloration/hue at night in an attempt to blend in. if you ever get the chance, watch a saltwater tank when the lights first come on. usually the fish will look pale and sick but in actuality they where just responding naturally to the darkness.

Back
Top Bottom