Plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WayBel2004

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 20 gallon community tank. 2 red platy's, 2 mickey mouse platy's, 2 dalmation mollies, 2 black mollies, 2 ornate rainbows.

I'm looking for a pleco who doesn't get to big. I know that the common pleco's that they have in my LFS can get up to 12" and that is much to big for my tank.

A bristlenose (ancistrus) would probably be your best bet. They stay under 6 in and are available in quite a few natural color morphs (albino, calico, brown, reddish). There are other plecos that stay small, but they tend to be more expensive and a bit tougher to find. Just remember that they will not do well on leftovers alone and should be purposely fed just like your other fish.

Welcome to AA btw. :)

Thank you. I'm going to see if my LFS can order it for me. I was at both of the stores in town today and both only had common and I think one called Golden.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm new to this hobby and have learned so much by just reading the posts on your site. I may ask some silly questions so bear with me.

Belinda

No worries Belinda and this is YOUR site too! :)

Another good one is a bulldog pleco or a rubber lip and the bristlenose can come in a really nice form called a peppermint bristlenose but they are expensive

+1 on the bristlenoses, they are great fish. Also I think clown plecoes stay at 5".

--Adeeb

I had my LFS order a bristlenose for me. He should be in on Tuesday. Thanks for all of your help.

Plecos aren't schooling and so don't need company. They wouldn't mind buddies tho.

--Adeeb

If you get 2, get a M/F pair. Males can get territorial as they mature.

Back
Top Bottom