Plecos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afink1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Sorry I began posting but accidentally added before finished...

Can someone possibly help me identify my 2 plecos.

Dyson is the pleco on the left. We have had him for about 9 or 10 months. He is about 4 inches long.

Kirby is the larger one on the right. We have had him 3 months. He is probably 6-7 inches.

Kirby was given to me so not sure how old he is.

IMG_20180218_205445238.jpg

Oh yes... And neither have a bunch of bristles. Just one whisker on each side like a catfish.

Oh yes... And neither have a bunch of bristles. Just one whisker on each side like a catfish.
IMG_20180313_201704461.jpg

Here is my other pleco Beast. Same size as Kirby. Also would like identified. Best has red/orange on tips of fins.

Dyson looks to be a Clown Pleco. Kirby a Common. Beast, might be a Sailfin.

Kirby and Beast do not have the big orange looking eyes like I see with the Royal Pleco.

Kirby and Beast do not have the big orange looking eyes like I see with the Royal Pleco.
That's why I included the latin species name. Common names often used for different different species. Think about how many flowers get called daisies. Look up Panaque cf. armbrusteri and you will see the Royal pleco with orange eyes. Yours are just another species referred to as Royal Pleco. Most people can't even pronounce scientific names, so we just give them common names.

I'll have to disagree with Dr.J's, Royal Pleco ID. All true Royals I've ever seen have red or orange eyes. I've never kept the true Royal simply because they grow too large. I have owned the Dull Eyed Royal Aka Broken Line Royal. They sport black eyes. Both Royals are Olive green with black striations. The Dull Eye Royals, when young have white or cream colored tail fins.
Both types of Royal Plecos are relatively expensive. In my area $25 - $40.

I'll have to disagree with Dr.J's, Royal Pleco ID. All true Royals I've ever seen have red or orange eyes. I've never kept the true Royal simply because they grow too large. I have owned the Dull Eyed Royal Aka Broken Line Royal. They sport black eyes. Both Royals are Olive green with black striations. The Dull Eye Royals, when young have white or cream colored tail fins.
Both types of Royal Plecos are relatively expensive. In my area $25 - $40.
I'm glad to see that there are people on this post to keep me in check. The armbrusteri is just one of many strains of Panaque species of armored catfish commonly known as "Royal" by common name. But the Species in question is Panaque. They are found in abundance in the Tapajas river which is a major Amazon tributary. They are also found with various physical differences from the Xingu, Araguaia, Tocantins, and Aripuana rivers. Whether it's like what you're used to seeing, it's a Panaque (not Hypostomus) species and commonly called a Royal Pleco.

Thanks

Thank you everyone for the input. Also very happy to actually know the gender of them. ?. One thing I love about plecos is the variety. Just wish the pet store would have said more than pleco on the label. Again thanks for the help.

Thank you everyone for the input. Also very happy to actually know the gender of them. [emoji3]. One thing I love about plecos is the variety. Just wish the pet store would have said more than pleco on the label. Again thanks for the help.
For some pet shops I've been in, you're lucky they even had a sign. Lol

Hahaha. That is very true.
My favorite fish store for decades now is a mom & pop store called Just fish. The couple that own it know everything there is to know about cycling, treatments, and every freshwater and marine animal they sell including some large specimens and the always have an abundance of live rock. The husband even drives to the Philadelphia Airport once a week to pick up livestock. I'm poining this out because if you can find such an aquarium shop, you're going to have employees and owner that know what they're talking about and even order something you want that they don't have in stock. I've moved away a couple years ago, and still take 2 buses each way to get livestock from them...including live brine shrimp to treat my fish with.

My favorite fish store for decades now is a mom & pop store called Just fish. The couple that own it know everything there is to know about cycling, treatments, and every freshwater and marine animal they sell including some large specimens and the always have an abundance of live rock. The husband even drives to the Philadelphia Airport once a week to pick up livestock. I'm poining this out because if you can find such an aquarium shop, you're going to have employees and owner that know what they're talking about and even order something you want that they don't have in stock. I've moved away a couple years ago, and still take 2 buses each way to get livestock from them...including live brine shrimp to treat my fish with.
That is amazing. I love Mom and pop stores. The farthest I have gone is 45 minute drive to Aquarium Adventure. It's a great place and the employees are very knowledgeable. I even just call for advice.

That is amazing. I love Mom and pop stores. The farthest I have gone is 45 minute drive to Aquarium Adventure. It's a great place and the employees are very knowledgeable. I even just call for advice.
Same here. The mom & pop place I go to is 30 miles away and takes 2 busses which translates to an hour each way, but it's worth it to me.

Back
Top Bottom