Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2007, 10:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Pleco's

My friend has a pleco that stays in one spot. Hardly moves and even at night when he cuts off the aquarium light he still stay in one spot. When he does move he its to go into another spot and it harldy cleans his tank up because its got tons of algea.
Whats up with this?

Old 02-02-2007, 10:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not all pleco's eat Algae so it doesn't surprise me that he isn't cleaning any of it off the tank. It's not uncommon for plecos to not move around much. I have a candy stripe pleco that can always be found hiding under a fake plant in the corner of the 29 gal tank. Well, that is until I move the gravel vac near him for water changes.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Its a sail fined pleco I think, the black ones you find a Wal-Mart (a place wich sickens me when it comes to fish).
Old 02-02-2007, 10:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If it is a Sailfin Pleco like the one I have, it's mostly nocturnal. Mine rarely comes out during the day and he's very, very, very shy! If it's out and I walk into the room or turn the lights on, most of the time he hurries to get back into his favorite hiding spot. As far as algae, my tank is just about always spotless so either I don't have an algae problem or he's doing a great job of cleaning (he's the only algae eater I currently have in this tank).

What size tank does your friend keep him in and what other fish are in it?
Old 02-02-2007, 11:50 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Contrary to popular belief, not all pleco's hunt algae or even like the stuff. If they do, it is certain types of algae but not all forms. I imagine folks thinking of pleco's as aquarium brooms constantly working around their tank to keep it clean. That does not happen.

Pleco's by nature are shy and would rather hide than be exposed to the outside world. Sounds like your friends pleco is normal.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My QA, Paula, is strictly a meat eater.

She hides 99% of the time in her house on the edge of the deepwater district and driftwood vale under a piece of driftwood. She was in fact, the one who reported the President's affair and elicit CO2 abuse at Club CO2 with Perez Hilfish. I only know this because those busy body cory cats told me. They never shut up. Gossip fanatics, i tell you.
Watch our thread! A MyCatsDrool and Travis Simonson Joint Production....55 Tanganyikan Tank. It is hidden in the photography showcase. It is really my tank, but Trav is helping and we live next door from each other...so....

CCTV Has shut its doors. Off the air.
5.5 gal ADA rimless cube, fully planted, killifish breeder. coming soon to a forum near you.
It's called Sex Panther, by Odeon. Illegal in 9 countries. Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.
MyCatsDrool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:00 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

i didnt get what size it was, Id guess a 15gallon though.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to Wizzard~Of~Ozz
15Gal is going to be way to small for that plec. My Red Sailfin came with a 20Gal from my mother (was 10-11"), Moved him to a 75, now to a 120Gal. He's 13" long. (he actually comes out sometimes during the day, but highly active on the glass and in the plants during the night. I just finished building my moon lights and get to watch how active he is at night
Old 02-03-2007, 01:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, he said that his parents are buying him a larger tank. And I was just guessing it was a 15gallon, not sure though.
Which are better Cory cats or pleco's?
Old 02-04-2007, 12:03 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy_Jones
Which are better Cory cats or pleco's?
Better for what? They're quite different fish...
Old 02-04-2007, 01:00 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to tropicfishman
is he feeding it algea wafers or some kind of sinking pelletts? if so thats prolly why its not cleaning lol now the being lazy thing is what plecos do unless ther ebothered

Tags
pleco

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com