Plecos and Shrimp???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

User

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello Everyone!

I was wondering whether or not there could be a type of Pleco that would be fine with Red Cherry Shrimp? The tank is a 20gal long and there would be no other fish inside the tank. It will be planted with various plants and moss and will have driftwood.

Four specific plecos I was looking at were the Clown Pleco, the King Tiger Pleco, the Flash Pleco, or the Tiger Panaque. All can be found at thatpetplace.com though the Tiger Panaque is out of stock.

Thanks for any advice!:)

I keep BN plecos with my cherry shrimp and they don't bother them at all. The worst they do is jump on any pellets/wafers I put in and push the shrimp out of the way.

I have no experience with those particular plecos though so I can't say for sure, but I probably would keep an eye on any of the meat eating plecos just to see how they act around them, but that's just speculation.

I had/have BNs, a clown and a common, all very gentle fish. Just make sure you feed enough and spread it out.

Thanks everyone! Which ones are canivores? So maybe a Clown Pleco then?

Or any from the Pekoltia species? They all stay about under 5 inches..

I think just about all Plecos are mainly herbivourous, but will eat the occassional bloodworm, flake, etc. I know when you think Pleco you think algae eater, but really they are not too fussy, which only adds to their appeal.

Ok I think I am going to try and see if it will work. Worst comes to worst ill just have one happy pleco and a lot of dead/eaten shrimp...

Plecos are virtually harmless IMO. My common pleco will actually Goto my hand if its in the tank and hang on it

Ok I think I am going to try and see if it will work. Worst comes to worst ill just have one happy pleco and a lot of dead/eaten shrimp...

I have to say that I wouldn't worry one bit about a pleco harming an adult shrimp. My BNP has actually been scared away from an algae pellet by my ghost shrimp.

Email from an expert

I have to say that I wouldn't worry one bit about a pleco harming an adult shrimp. My BNP has actually been scared away from an algae pellet by my ghost shrimp.

Yep you are right. I emailed the people at thatpetplace.com and they said it should not be a problem if I have both cherry red shrimp and the choices of plecos I chose. Shouldve posted this earlier. Now I just have to decide which one I want!!

Back
Top Bottom