Plecos and Veggies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chriznat20

Aquarium Advice Freak
So after YEARS of having FW tanks, I finally had an issue with my pleco.

Had him for about a year, common pleco, he hasnt grown. It actually look like he shrunk!

I usually give him an algae wafer 1-2x weekly. Lately I noticed hes been hanging on the glass a lot, looks like hes scavenging for food even in the daylight. Did my 'google research' and yeah, Ive heard before they like veggies so I figured what the heck...

WOW does he LOVE zucchini! I feel guilty now. I gave him 2 slices of blanched zucchini Wednesday, the next morning nothing left but rinds. His color has perked up and he isnt attached to the glass in the daytime anymore. He was dancing around the tank when I walked up to it, stopping in front looking at me. Then dancing around and coming back and looking at me again...lol. I think hes happy.

Question: What experiences have you had feeding your plecos veggies? Id really like to vary his diet, Im sure zucchini wont give him all the nutrients he needs.

Try spinach and romaine lettuce. They do love their veggies! :)

They can also enjoy melons, and canteloupe. Make sure to not have any seeds on them. Mine even eat orange slices.

If you were only feeding one algae wafer a couple of times a wek you were starving the fish. vegetarian fish such as the pleco need a lot of food. If the fish isn't making a mess of the tank, it is probably underfed.
As far as the veggies, besides those already mentioned, I feed broccoli stems sliced and blanched. Romaine and leaf lettuce don't mess the tank up the way zuchini can. Other types of squash can also be fed.

Cucumbers are a real favorite too. Zach is right, and be sure to remove the veggies once it's sucked all it likes out of the veggies.

yes mine was a dull greyish brown colour, fins down and never came out until i moved it into my 65 gal, and started giving it cucombers. it changed to a lighter brown colour with dark brown dots all over it and its fins were always up. i guess i just fed it to much or amonia hit my tank, i lost alot of fish over a 2 week span.

If you feed oranges, just remove the oranges after the evening. Mine has never had a ph swing from oranges.

personally i dont think its a good idea to feed any fish just one kind of food. there really isnt a one food fix. normally i feed at least 3 different foods a week.
img_1165481_0_01ec56870b4a61623e47b127e44359cd.jpg

i am in the try it and see for your self category. they dont get fish food in the wild. they eat what they can.

img_1166002_0_39a45538eed358973dd6a96278305d60.jpg

So far the barbs are the bullies of the playground. I am now feeding the plecos at night. We had mixed veggies the other night for dinner and I pulled out all the peas and lima beans. My husband threw them away even though they were in a plastic bowl with a lid. At least he did the dishes! He hates mixed veggies, so to get back at him, I'll make it again, that way I'll have some for the fish and he won't be happy!

Back
Top Bottom